Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replacing a rear pinion bearing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:55 PM
chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing a rear pinion bearing

I found a very very slow leak on my pinion bearing - I believe it's a bad seal - does anybody have instructions on replacing these?
I have no lift, just jacks, and tire ramps to do this with, so as much information as possible would be helpful.
Oh, and I have a 96' 4WD.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing a rear pinion bearing

My response in another thread:

The pinion seal... Now this may be possible by simply marking the axle nut, pinion shaft, and flange for alignment purposes. Also make note of the amount of thread which protrudes through the nut. Remove the nut, then remove the flange and replace the seal. Replace the seal. Reinstall the flange lining up the marks. Then tighten the nut ONLY until the marks line up with the required number of threads protruding.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
chvygirl84 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I know beforehand which seal is leaking (if I remember right there are 2 - an inner and outer, right?)

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

If its anything like my 93 olds bravada rear end, its a simple fix. What makes you think there is bearing failure? There is usually only one seal on any light duty rear end pinion. The hardest part of doing this was getting the pinion nut to break. You need a special tool called a pinion flange holding tool or you can improvise and use something like a very largemonkey wrench (3 foot) like I did and a nice breaker bar w/ large socket (can't remember size- 1"3/8 or mm equivalent maybe). Once you break the nut, you'll need a suitable puller to pull the flange off of the spline shaft. NO IMPACT WRENCHES... but plenty of pb blaster will help. Pull old seal out, put new one in and follow the instruction swartlkk has posted before doing anything I've said. If you have any ??'s,just ask.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: chvygirl84

How do I know beforehand which seal is leaking (if I remember right there are 2 - an inner and outer, right?)
Nope, just a lip seal on the outside. It seals on the pinion yoke. If you have a leak on the front of the differential where the driveshaft connects, the lip seal is at fault.

The title is a bit misleading...