Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

rod bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:48 PM
blazinrebel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rod bearings

has anyone here ever replaced the rod bearing with out removing the engine from the truck. if so how would i go about doing this. i have a rod knock that is steadily getting worse and i want to fix it before it ruins my engine.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: rod bearings

If you can get the pan out, it is possible. Not going to be easy, but possible.

You would remove the pan. Remove the rod caps two at a time, marking them for their location (cylinder #). Check the crank for scoring and polish as necessary. If you can, mic the crank and check for out of tolerance on the journal as well as out of round. If you find out of tolerance, but still round, get the appropriate thicker bearings. If out of round, pull the engine. Now, if everything is good, replace the bearings on the rods, using ample amounts of assembly lube. Torque to spec and repeat on the next journal back until done.

Again, if you find that you have anything out of round or score marks in the crank that you can catch your finger nail on, you need to pull the motor and either cut the crank or replace it.