Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

running on propane

Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
greenblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default running on propane

Hi, i am contemplating installing propane or even natural gas into my blazer to run the motor. I have a 94 with CPI injection. Im thinking its as easy as routing the propane through a regulator into the fuel line and deadending the fuel return line so that the gas wouldnt go into the gas tank and pressurize it. Then simply installing a switch to turn off the regular gas tank fuel pump.

Has anyone ever tried this before? How exactly does a poppet nozzle or whatever they are called work?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: running on propane

Around me, there are a ton of NYSEG (New York State Electric & Gas) S-10s with the 2.2L I4 running on LPG, but they shut off the fuel system and run the engine with a fairly complicated flow regulator.

You cannot just plumb the propane or natural gas into the standard fuel system... You need way more 'gas' by volume than gasoline. You may want to see if there are any LPG kits available on the internet and start there.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Finding a good place for the tank might be hard on the Blazer, unless you've got a 4 door and put your spare tire inside...

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
juscarter is an unknown quantity at this point

i have never heard of this before. Is it cost efficient once all of the mods are done? Really interested!

Just a thought...Why not remove the fuel tank and have a drop down rack in its place to fit the propane tank(s). You could prolly fit several down there. Or am i just an idiot?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
nemesis_SS is an unknown quantity at this point

You still need gas sometimes so the gas tank has to stay. You could maybe fit a smaller gas tankin the originals placeand crama propane tank beside it. A lot of people have made this switch (I think GM even had a factory propane light truck for fleet use) so theres no shortage of ideas.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You wouldn't use "several" propane tanks, you'd have one big one... Not sure what'll happen to your mileage on propane, either... Gotta make sure it's timed right, too...

And you don't really need to still have your gas tank, it's just always nice to have a back up incase something happens...

Old 07-10-2007, 04:05 PM
mainsail2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in UK, LPG conversions are becoming a big thing because of the price of petrol here, its quite complicated but goes something like this.
You put a 90ltr doughnut tank where your spare wheel goes, a control unit that shuts off petrol and switches to LPG, control unit that injects LPG directly into mouth of each inlet port (ie v6 means 6 pipes) each pipe has lengthmeasured and info put into computer. Computer then allows for time taken for each pipe to inject LPG at moment of intake by each cylinder so it intakes right amount of LPG, the pipes tend to be different lenghts because of engine layout
It is about two thirds as efficient as petrol but much cheaper to buy per Ltr, car still needs petrol to start as will not run on LPG until warm. It costs about £2300 to get fitted here.
Not sure of safety aspect in a bad wreck, a salvage yard dropped one off a grab accidently here last year and it exploded setting fire to 12 cars and the crane!