Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

secondary rad fan with clutch fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road
Default secondary rad fan with clutch fan

hey guys i got a question its been wondering if i should do it or not. i have the stock clutch fan but wanna add a slim profile design electric rad fan and wire it to a switch for in cab use. at hwy speeds the trucks temp sits fine but when i have the a/c on sitting still it likes to climb in temps fast and causing the a/c to not blow as cold as it should. i was wondering if the electirc rad fan will interfear with the clutch fan or not. i have the green coolant in my rad and added a low temp thermostat and a bottle of water wetter. any info or input would be great

Old 07-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

If the stock system can not keep up there is a bigger problem. Maybe start with a coolant flush and see what it does. I know my 2000 blazer would hit 210 on hot days with the a/c on but no hotter then that.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:52 PM

ok i can try a coolant flush but it seems to get hot more on idle in hot days with the ac on. i wanted the secondary rad fan to help cool down the temps as i have a aux oil cooler and aux tranny cooler in front of the a/c condesor

Old 07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I am running dual intrepid Efans with the high speed triggered to come on with the ac and it actually runs cooler at idle with the ac on high than it does at speed with the ac off! All total it was a $45 investment and it works great. What I'm saying is why not just get rid of the clutch fan all together? Especially if you will be doing any deep water crossings with that new snorkel you got that way you can shut the fans off cross the water and turn them back on.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 AM

I've been wanting to do that mod but have mixed reviews of it. I wanna consider it but need an actual proper wiring diagram on how to wire it up properly and hook it to the ac. If u can give me the material needed and a diagram ill do this mod for sure

Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I will for sure but it won't be for a week till I'm home from vaca sorry. Just not enough time and way to hard to type all the on a phone!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

look at you Rex...they make you a MOD and now you cant quit while on vacation. i love the fact that you are keeping up the dedication to this place! but you need some time with the family, no? anyway, not quite my business, but i thought that you and the other MODs would like to hear how we appreciate all the hard work you all put in to make this site what it is. thanks again, and go have some fun while you are away!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Even with it being hot and having the ac on, the temp should not go above 210. There has to be something wrong, like already stated. is your fan clutch bad?

And thank you Twip, We are happy to help.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM

my truck always sits around 95 degrees in candian terms dunno what it is in farinheit. but in heavy traffic and offroading the temps start to climb as theres not much of a air flow passing through all the rad and condesor and aux coolers. the clutch fan works but dosent seem to suck the air back as much as it should so i wanted to add a aux fan to help with temps. rex has a good idea for electric rad fan setup if he can get me a wiring diagram and parts list ill make it as i do intent to do water crossings

Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

the stock fan should keep your system cool. If it's not then there is something wrong, fan clutch not engaging 100%, broken blades, debris in radiator area blocking air flow, clog in cooling system, incorrect coolant/water ratio, Low coolant, defective rad cap...

Adding an extra fan will only band-aid your issue, it will probably fit it for now but there is another problem that may get worse.