Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sluggish acceleration after engine is warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member
tondox1 is on a distinguished road
Default Sluggish acceleration after engine is warmed up

Maybe someone can help?

I have a 2000 blazer 4.3 6cylinder 4x4

My problem is that my truck begins to ride sluggish after the engine warms up a bit. Maybe 15-20 miles of drivin? It seems to be some kind of Air/fuel issue that gets addressed electronically. And sounds like the engine is reving high or extra air is trying to blow out from under the hood somewhere.

The truck runs and sounds great and strong first drive in the morning on my way to work. But the sluggish symptoms arrive after that 15-20miles. It's almost like the truck forgets it has a problem every time i shut it off and wakes up fine for the next drive. Like i said, symptoms are more prominent when engine is warmed up.

So far I have replaced:

-spark plugs, cap, rotor, Radiator, air filter, water pump, TPS, MAP, MAF, IAT, PCV valve, ECT sensor, EGR Valve, all new.

-Coolant/tranny flush, oil/trans/fuel filter changed.

Please help...

Old 07-04-2013, 02:02 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

** Moved to Engine and Transmission **

Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Beginning Member

Ok, so thanks for all the replies and assistance. (sarcasm implied)

the update so far, I took my truck into the dealership and what they diagnosed is that the problem is the Distributor assembly. they say the rod adjust under the vehicle load which causes the hesitation when the vehicle is warm.

It doesn't make sense to me. since I've got my hands tied and I don't have any better ideas, I said to just do the replacement.

I'll update with the outcome whether or not the Distributor assembly was the cause of my trucks intermittent sluggishness or not...

Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 PM
Beginning Member
KodiKid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tondox1
Ok, so thanks for all the replies and assistance. (sarcasm implied)

the update so far, I took my truck into the dealership and what they diagnosed is that the problem is the Distributor assembly. they say the rod adjust under the vehicle load which causes the hesitation when the vehicle is warm.

It doesn't make sense to me. since I've got my hands tied and I don't have any better ideas, I said to just do the replacement.

I'll update with the outcome whether or not the Distributor assembly was the cause of my trucks intermittent sluggishness or not...
Was the distributor the problem???

Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KodiKid
Was the distributor the problem???
They haven't been active since 2015 but for your answer there isn't a moving rod in a 2000 dist I'm pretty sure it's all computer controlled.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:44 PM
Beginning Member

I have since gotten rid of the blazer.

But what was happening is that the Engine bay is getting hot enough to make the fan clutch engage.
Fan clutch working fine, as it was working as soon as engine bay temperature reached the temperature to make the clutch engage.
But as for "What" is causing the engine bay to heat up prematurely in my mind? Im thinking something to do with the cooling system of the truck.
And mind you, I have already replaced the Heater Core also.

good luck! Id like to still know what the primary cause is, so I am subscribed to this post