Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Small plastic vacuum line? Need help please.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:13 AM
LoneWolf71 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I posted this elsewhere but I think this is the proper section. So I am having the infamous blinking but not engaging when I press the 4 hi and 4 low. (4 button 2nd Gen) - I have replaced all vac lines on top, and I did find the nipple on the fender thanks to this site.

So when I was changing the vac lines out, I broke the thin plastic one that T's off by the master cylinder, drivers side that I think goes to the HVAC in the dash. I am stealing Captain Hook's pic to elaborate.

I capped it off on the motor side and the other side runs into a mess of wires that will be a real booger to get to, and somehow mend it together. Or I could very easily break more of it off I fear.

Does anyone know for sure what this vac line does? And will capping it off affect my 4X4? Thanks in advance. Here is the pic Hook posted a while back, I can also attach a couple pics if anyone would like to see. It the line that says to "HVAC in dash"

Name:  Vacuumlines.jpg
Views: 7374
Size:  64.9 KB

Actually, I should mention that it will go into 4LO but it takes a few seconds, but will not engage Auto4WD, or 4HI. It will go back to 2HI as well. I think it's the encoder motor, but I am more concerned with that little plastic vac line. But any light someone can shed on any of it would be appreciated.

Old 02-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Default Sorry, just need guidance

I don't mean to pester anyone, but I took pictures that may help someone help me, and I am sure help others in the future. It is my understanding that if I have the solenoid on the firewall, I will not have a mechanical vacuum switch on the t-case (4 button switch on the dash). Please let me know how accurate that is. Here are the pics I took today with the snapped line with extras to help people if they need it:

The hard plastic line that snapped with more info for other users hopefully:

As you can see, the hard plastic vacuum line snapped off in the worst place! It is bundled together with so much other stuff in such a tight space, getting to it much less pulling enough out to make a repair is dang near impossible. And I rarely use the word impossible:

Solenoid located middle of firewall:

Anyone? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Small plastic vacuum line?  Need help please.-top-side-vacuum-system.jpg   Small plastic vacuum line?  Need help please.-firewall-side.jpg   Small plastic vacuum line?  Need help please.-solenoid.jpg   Small plastic vacuum line?  Need help please.-firewall-side-2.jpg  

Last edited by LoneWolf71; 02-11-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:32 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

The snapped line goes to your HVAC controls in your dash. Capping it off might fix you 4x4 front axle engagement if it was leaking beforehand.

If you have the 4-button 4x4 switch, you have the electrically actuated vacuum solenoid on the firewall and nothing on the transfer case.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 AM

Thank you Lesmyer! It took some work, but I got the snapped lines back together using a small rubber vac line and a lot of patience digging out enough of the short piece to get it all together again. 4X4 still doing the same thing though... ugh