Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starts but won't run

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM
1955chevyhams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starts but won't run

Vitals: 2000 Blazer, 4.3l, 4x4, 121,000 miles.

Problem: When I go to start the car it will start but immediately die. It starts immediately like you'd expect but shuts off just as fast, almost like I'm turning the key off (which I stupidly told my wife she was doing when this first happened a few weeks ago).I can hear the fuel pump run up to pressure and shut off. It started up and ran just fine this morning. I haven't scanned it yet.

Any ideas?

Old 03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Starts but won't run

Let's start by checking the fuel pressue. The directions are here in this thread.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you noticed the security light coming on at all?

Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the symptoms of a chipped key not being used to start the vehicle!! Hence what kyle said.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah chipped key what gr81 said....didnt really need to post this though...

Old 03-11-2008, 03:00 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

It would appear to be a problem with the Passlock system.

Probably because your key isn't chipped. Or your ignition switch has failed (mine is in process...does this every so often..pretty much whenever I'm in a hurry).

Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I was trying to rule something out on that!! My 99 nissan maxima was like that if I tried using the spare key without the chip in it!! Also I drew a blank on the name of the system you mentioned(passlock system) that is more likely what is happening in this case!!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: thegr81

It sounds like the symptoms of a chipped key not being used to start the vehicle!! Hence what kyle said.
Gee thanks for reiterating what I said... Too bad - no chip... We really need the OP to respond before speculating further.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 AM
1955chevyhams is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought maybe the thread had started a life of its own!

OK: Check fuel pressure - 60.1 lbs when the pump goes off. No leakdown to speak of.

No chip in this system....plain old fashioned key. The ignition switch idea has merit. My 55 had that issue once.

It has started and ran fine ever since the last episode.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Have you noticed the 'Security' light coming on at odd times or staying illuminated after you attempt to start the truck? If so, I would definitely say that you have a problem with the ignition switch. This kind of problem can come and go, potentially leaving you stranded in the most inopportune time.

Quick Reply: Starts but won't run