Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Sun Shell, Sun gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
PHELAN is on a distinguished road
Default Sun Shell, Sun gear?

94 Chevy full size 4x4 with a 4L60E tranny and I think it finally went. 176K miles. Yesterday loud bang pulling away from work. No 2,4th or reverse. It whined in park and noisy in 1st. 3rd got me home. This is all an assumption but from what I have gathered here the symptoms match the sun gear,sun shell being the culprit. Speedometer did jump around a bit when I started it up this am. Not sure what that is. Hooked up my scanner and no codes so nothing electrical I guess. Rebuilding this is beyond my tech skill. I love my Blazer and wondered what would a fix run approx? I wanted to get an ballpark form you guys first before I ask a shop. Can I drive this in limp mode at least to have it looked at? No overheating yesterday. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

sun shell... the same item in my 1993 chevy full size van same tranny , that item exploded into a million pieces, cost roughly 1900.00 to have the tranny completely rebuilt, they put a shift kit in it and corvette servos, the tranny kicked A_ _ after that.. nice shifting and never had to take it back with any problems..

Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for sun shell. An old co-worker had just the sun shell replaced for something like $400 or $500. Most of it's labor considering that the best sun shell available is only $60 or so.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the replies. Just got off the phone and an approximate figure was $900. Possibly $1500 depends on what is exactly broken. He did agree with with the sun shell diagnosis and He did mutter something like "no need to take it apart to see, the housing is cracked". I think. They did asked if this was the first time any tranny work had been done and I thought that odd. It is not. I'll limp her over in the am and see what I'm looking at. Glad I just got her running the best in years and put Bilsteins all around!

Last edited by PHELAN; 06-08-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

the place your taking it to, is it a transmission shop? and if you have them tow the truck will they not charge for the towing if they do the work , like the tranny shop did for me? i went to a Lee Myles shop to get mine done, and was very pleased..don`t let just any kind of repair shop mess with it, take it to a place that does transmissions everyday... you`ll see in the end, that you made a good money saving choice in the long run, and a warranty always helps..

Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 2002XTREME
sun shell... the same item in my 1993 chevy full size van same tranny , that item exploded into a million pieces, cost roughly 1900.00 to have the tranny completely rebuilt, they put a shift kit in it and corvette servos, the tranny kicked A_ _ after that.. nice shifting and never had to take it back with any problems..
Yup, had mine rebuilt with the corvette servo, Trans Adapt Mr Shift shift kit, kevlar belts etc. They said I could bomb around in whatever I wanted & the trans would get me home. It's how they build up the same trans for full size chevy's with 35's on em.
Shifts like a dream now & compression braking at any speed is instant!
Paying a little extra right now is well worth it when you get it rebuilt.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member

It is in fact a transmission shop. Lupfer's Tranmission Inc in Carlisle, PA. I did ask around about a shop and this one was recommended more then once.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Beginning Member
HateToLoveIt is on a distinguished road

Hey fellows Im new to the site and Just bought my 2000 blazer, I love it so far But all of a sudden Im having problems shifting from first to second gear, I dont know if its electrical or mechanical. But how can a tranny constantly go out like on all these posts. Im tring to understand how a vehicle can have all the same problems which is clearly not the operators fault (ex. gas gauge) and we have to dump money into fixing something that we all ready paid for. If you have any good stories to tell me about the vehicle I bought, I would love to hear about. I love the truck itself, great features, But if it isnt dependable, screw it. I got to trust my kids in this thing. I hear watch out you will be replacing wheel hubs and ball joints everytime you turn around. wtf. By the way glad to meet ya. appreciate your input.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Concerning the topic of this thread, the sun shell is a hit or miss problem. The vast majority of 4L60E transmissions (used in everything from passenger cars to fullsize trucks) go without this failure.

The rest of the stuff you brought up is really off-topic in this thread. There are other threads discussing many of these things. It isn't as bad as what most people make it sound. Just remember, you'll always hear/read about horror stories, but people who are happy rarely say so (or post about it).

Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Beginning Member
HateToLoveIt is on a distinguished road
Default Appreciate it

Hit or miss, Im glad to hear that. The more I was reading about it I thought that it was just a manufacturing defect that happens continuously. People were saying the IMFAMOUS sun shell, And as for the other things I brought up I was given an example, not tring to discuss them

Quick Reply: Sun Shell, Sun gear?