Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

system overhaul, 1995. heavy blazer 350 4.3l CPI (TIMING/GASKETS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Phil T. Chambliss is on a distinguished road
Default system overhaul, 1995. heavy blazer 350 4.3l CPI (TIMING/GASKETS)

So my blazer has about 230k drives well but has a slight occasional miss fire the exhaust is fairly rich, no smoke from exhaust except when it's very cold out, I have a few issues that will need addressing.

1) Timing chain assuming that this issue is not the route of all evil (engine starts but takes normally 2-4 turns of the key to fire up.) In earlier years during fire up I would here a glass shatter like sound at start up once in a blue moon kind of like carbon being sucked up.

2) is the head gasket at fault or distributor? The engine runs rich on the number 1 spark plug mainly (wet) the whole passengers side is decent but looks lean from time to time all the time.

3) timing cover leak between lower cover, and base of the pan of the motor. (all wet by oil under the chassis but doesn't reflect on dip stick as if there is a lossage of oil.

4) exhaust gasket leak or valve cover? leak the whole side of the engine block is blackened to dog doo I do know that the exhaust is not leaking because the engine is not loud at idle around the exhaust manifold.

Thanks all tips help (yes there is check engine light and no a code reader does not work on this truck).

Old 10-30-2016, 04:10 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Can you look up the information on your car please.

Seems a bit odd to me "heavy" and 350 4.3l do not match.
Either an S10 S/T Truck or a 1500 full size blazer.

If it is a 350 it is 5.7l and V8
If it is a 4.3l it is 262 cid and V6

Would need year as well to get more specific.

What do you mean with "wet" spark plug. Wet of fuel?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by error_401
Can you look up the information on your car please.

Seems a bit odd to me "heavy" and 350 4.3l do not match.
Either an S10 S/T Truck or a 1500 full size blazer.

If it is a 350 it is 5.7l and V8
If it is a 4.3l it is 262 cid and V6

Would need year as well to get more specific.

What do you mean with "wet" spark plug. Wet of fuel?
It's in the header 95 4.3l cpi it's probably fuel vs coolant.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:11 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Still missing information

Could you give us the VIN?

A 95 blazer 4.3l V6 is MFI has the round intake manifold and remote air filter. Not sure if it is still the spider design but I think so. This car should definitvely be OBDII. As it is the standard OBD implementation you should be able to read at least the codes.

This will definitively help a great deal.

If the front cover is leaking (something that nearly never happens on any Chevy SBC) except if it hit something or has not been fixed correctly.

For oil losses wash it down and check after a short while.

As for fuel on the spark plug if it is a single one I would start by checking the ignition wiring from cap to plug for shorts or broken ignition cable or damaged spark plug. Spark tester would be a good tool.

Still not too sure what you mean by fuel vs. coolant. There should definitively be no way that the two mix.

As for the valve covers. A slight bit of re-tightening the three central bolts may help getting rid of a leak. Normally these covers are tight.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by error_401
Still missing information

Could you give us the VIN?

A 95 blazer 4.3l V6 is MFI has the round intake manifold and remote air filter. Not sure if it is still the spider design but I think so. This car should definitvely be OBDII. As it is the standard OBD implementation you should be able to read at least the codes.

This will definitively help a great deal.

If the front cover is leaking (something that nearly never happens on any Chevy SBC) except if it hit something or has not been fixed correctly.

For oil losses wash it down and check after a short while.

As for fuel on the spark plug if it is a single one I would start by checking the ignition wiring from cap to plug for shorts or broken ignition cable or damaged spark plug. Spark tester would be a good tool.

Still not too sure what you mean by fuel vs. coolant. There should definitively be no way that the two mix.

As for the valve covers. A slight bit of re-tightening the three central bolts may help getting rid of a leak. Normally these covers are tight.
Well I can say this cold it's nice, warm out it doesn't give a F# those valve cover gaskets so damn old you might break the glue from time seal.

Rotors new cap is needed as it looks like a old dried out flint pourus, classic chevy broken mount tabs, has new wires plugs the whole nine yards, I control relay vs the coil pack the Ignition control relay, I've inspected the ecm, etc all is been replaced excluding knock sensors timing belt distributor (which is good) not lazy at all.

No foul play on a slack test distributor responds instantly,

95 is like kicking bricks ago vaccum lines it's all been done.