Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

is there a test to let you know if your distributor is bad

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member
Barbara is on a distinguished road
Default is there a test to let you know if your distributor is bad

Is there a test that can be done, I am told that you can't test the
distributor. I am told that this is costly to change the distributer
and all its works. It is making noise, when you first start the 1997 Blazer. The noise then goes away and it sounds good.
Thank you Barbara

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default More info

I don't know what year vehicle we are talking about. A used distributor a my local salvage yard is $30.00 Can you give more information about your vehicle and elaborate on the noise you are referring to?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Default My bad

My apologies, you did state the year.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

They distributors are easy to change and if you think its bad , remove the one bolt holding it in ( I think its a 13mm) put the number one cylinder top dead center ( all the way up ) and remove the distributor cap and set it to the side , and mark the position of the rotor . Then lift the distributor up and twist slightly , once its out try and spin the distributor with your figures and see if your feel a vibration in it or the squealing you mentioned . If its bad replace it and installation is reverse everything you just did .

Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member
Default My question is, is there a way of testing the distributor

THANKS FOR HELPING ME, BUT I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS WAY
TO HAVE IT TESTED TO FIND OUT IF IT IS GOOD OR BAD.
IT IS A 1997 CHEVY BLAZER. IT DOES MAKE NOISE WHEN
YOU FIRST START IT, AND THEN IT GOES AWAY. ANY IDEAS WOULD
BE HELPFUL!
THANKS AGAIN, BARBARA

Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Default Noise

Most of us will say if it is allowing your car to run, it tests good. You will inspect it. If it is making a noise and it stops after a while there will be no problem until you break down. It will have to come out to check it. Save yourself some time and money. Just go pull one from a salvage vehicle.
The distributor cap will have to come off so you can clear the distributor when you want to extract that. These screws are torx screws. Could be a few sizes. Once you get the cap off you will need most likely a 10mm socket to loosen the bolt holding the distributor in. Once this bolt is out you will need to unplug the connector on the back side then just pull up and rotate counter clockwise. When you get back to working on your truck, you will need to note which way the rotor is pointing so you can put the salvaged one back in so the rotor button lands in the exact place. Pay attention to how much rotation the rotor turns counter clockwise. You will need to start your salvage rotor in this area. You will know you did this correctly if the distributor goes in and meets the intake correctly. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
Unhappy About 1997 Blazer and distributor

Thanks for all the information, I think for now, I will wait and see.
I just got done putting lower ball joints in. That was costly.
And a new fan belt. Do you find 1997 Chevy Blazers are high maintenance, I was told that they were, by a machanic that works on them, Or any Blazers???
Thanks again.
Barbara

Old 02-18-2012, 03:16 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Any vehicle can be costly on maintenance depending on how they are taken care of. My '97 has had 0 problems but it was always taken care of.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Beginning Member
Default Spending money on blazers

I know that you have to spend money on these Auto's, and I just put
this Blazer on the road, and had my machanic check it, only to be told that he had to put in lower ball joints in front and new fan belt, also take care of inspection, that passed. That cost me almost $400.00 Now I think I have to take care of the distributor, because it is making noise, and that would cost a couple of hundred dollars. I would at less like to drive this Blazer a while before putting all this money into it. I have had other cars and they have been good, yes I put what ever my last car needed, it gave me good service for 12 years. Only broke down once, good thing I had AAA.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
Xavier is on a distinguished road

I just bought myself a remanufactured AC Delco distributor. In my search I saw they were usually selling for $200+ but I happened to find this site (http://www.davesdiscountautoparts.co...DELCO&weight=1) selling them for $90+core. Got it within three days. They are fairly easy to replace yourself.

Last edited by Xavier; 02-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.