Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

think its still good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member
coeltonbozz is on a distinguished road
Default think its still good?

I have a manual transmision blazer turns out the transfer case input shaft seal is known to go out and I ran the transmission dry with out knowing. Do you think if I fix the seal get all the fluids to normal and the right spot it will be good

Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Had a similar issue happen years ago with a 5-speed Ranger that my mom had. The trans fluid just disappeared (no puddles, no fluid under the truck at all) and it did major damage. Shifter would hardly move, the gears made tons of noise inside when the internals were spinning (engine running, clutch out, neutral and in gears).

We pulled the shifter off the top of the trans and saw more damage and blued steel than was even feasibly possible to repair. We picked up a used one from a local parts yard and it done it again on the new/used one after a copule of weeks. Never did figure out why but we caught it before it did any damage. That one still looked good when we pulled the shifter out of the top and it didn't have any metal shavings or chunks to wash out of it when we flushed it out either. We refilled it with fluid and it was fine for about six months when the oil pump went out and the engine got toasted.

So after that short novel, pull it out, open it up and look at the internals and see what kind of damage you can see. If you weren't hearing any bad noises, major whining, etc. then you might just get lucky. If it's not wanting to shift into/out of gears properly, making any kind of weird noises or has much metal in the case when you open it up and flush it out then you're probably going to be looking at a replacement.

Thats about all the help I can offer on the subject.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you I've been trying to test all the drive terrain parts before I do have to drop the trannny

Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

fill with fluid and run and see what it does as far as shifting
got nothing to loose but some fluid

Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

It shifts it will jus not stay in gear when you give it to much gas it started with jerking and rattling and went to. What it is now