Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Thinking about getting a 4 cyl s10, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Beginning Member
BlackBeauty43 is on a distinguished road
Default Thinking about getting a 4 cyl s10, thoughts?

I know this is probably the wrong forum to post this, but I'm selling my Blazer soon and have considered switching to a 2.2 s10 because I simply love s10s, but I have had really bad luck with the 4.3 motor and would rather not get another lemon 4.3.

So, for those of you that have had any experience with these motors, whats the reliability on them? Are they relatively easy to work on? Also, i've heard they're slow. Are they're any mods (besides a turbo) to make them not so sluggish? I'm not looking for drag racing performance. But enough power to make it peppy and fun, and also to be able to tow, and haul dirt without being worried about not making it up a hill.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited by BlackBeauty43; 01-25-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

No such thing as a "lemon" 4.3L, neglect, abuse, or inexperienced people working on it is more likely You heard 2.2's were slow?? You heard right! 2.2L peppy and fun? Uh, no, more like pokey and frustrating. Tow? Maybe a small golf bag with one or two clubs in it. Probably be able to put a little dirt in the bag too, but it better be a small hill There's my 2 cents.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

The 4 cyl isn't horrible in a single cab, 2wd base model pickup so long as you don't plan on towing or carrying anything. Even witb a turbo the 2.2 has less power than a 4.3. And I agree with Capt, the only bad 4.3 is a neglected or abused one.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member

Maybe I should've mentioned briefly the bad history it's had. Lol. I'll try to make this short. The last owner never changed the coolant and it got really scummy, and ate away the intake gaskets, and blew the motor at only 89k. I received this car with a used motor and kept up maintenance the best I could. It blew another intake gasket... But I caught it in time to fix it. The second motors internals are rock solid, it even survived hydrolock from a bad injector, but has needed and still needs work. Lots of non engine repairs had to be done. Other immediate repairs are forcing me to sell it.

I'm just worried I would end up with another money pit. Which is why I ask about a 2.2 lol. Maybe I should take a second look at a 4.3?

Last edited by BlackBeauty43; 01-25-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

my sister used to have a pick up with the 2.2 in it. it started to get a little warm on her on day and she stopped. no problem right? she went into a store and went shopping. she cam back out and the motor was seized up. dont know if it was a bad sender or if i wasnt getting the whole truth. either way, its been sold to someone who was willing to work on it and knew what he was buying. since then, about 3 years ago, he has had to put another 2 engines in it. so its currently on its 4th motor. if they over heat, you might as well just change the motor because if you fix the head gasket, the bottom end is going to be falling out of it shortly after.
im with the Capt and Diaita on this one. the 4.3's are basically bullet proof if you are will to keep up with them.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:59 AM
Beginning Member

Oh GOD! That pretty much seals the deal right there lol.
I've seen 4.3's with REALLY high milage I won't argue there. My blazers had a neglectful past with the previous owner, which i've done my best to fix and just can't afford it anymore! Just bad luck. Anyway...

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:03 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind too, the s series is getting old now. Coming up 9 years for the newest one...