Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Timing checked with autoenginuity, something wrong with my timing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Starting Member
Denominator is on a distinguished road
Default Timing checked with autoenginuity, something wrong with my timing?

I hooked up my autoenginuity and see that the timing on cylinder #1 is fluctuating between -17 and -22. Should it be this much off?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To what are you basing the idea that this is 'off'? What were the other operating conditions. If its sitting in your driveway idling, I don't see much wrong with the timing. If it's cruising down the road, there again, I do not see a lot of problems. But if it is under high load, that much timing advance could be troubling.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Starting Member

I had my distributor out when I changed my LIM gasket, after putting it back I have had some slight stutter from my engine under load.
It will not run as smooth as it did earlier. It also has some jumping idle and loss of power. This was no problem before. I have now checked and changed everything that might affect this, but no change. No vacuum leak. If this is normal, what else could it then be?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't answer my questions... I said 'could be'. You need to provide the details behind your readings. Simply giving the spark advance reading and asking if they are correct is useless.

Did you reinstall your distributor properly?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Starting Member

I did the readings on my way home from work, 9 miles long road, steep uphill.

In my opinion I did reinstall my distributor properly, but I could be a tooth off.

Last edited by Denominator; 04-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Administrator
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Question

Originally Posted by Denominator
I had my distributor out when I changed my LIM gasket, after putting it back I have had some slight stutter from my engine under load.
It will not run as smooth as it did earlier. It also has some jumping idle and loss of power. This was no problem before. I have now checked and changed everything that might affect this, but no change. No vacuum leak. If this is normal, what else could it then be?

On the back of the distr. did you plug back in the c.p.s?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Starting Member

Everything is back where it should be

Here's some results and logging from the scanner:

Right click and save.......

http://www.katherine-kelly.com/Tomsb...ril21-2010.csv

http://www.katherine-kelly.com/Tomsb...rsteforsok.xml

Maybe you can take a look at this, swartlkk, as it seems that you have good knowledge about this

Old 04-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Have you verified the position of the rotor after aligning the timing marks on the crank shaft pulley/damper with the marks on the timing cover/block per the instructions in the link I provided above??

Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Starting Member

Yes, I have tried my best and as far as I can see, the converter is reinstalld correct.

Quick Reply: Timing checked with autoenginuity, something wrong with my timing?