Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Top two bell housing bolts

Old 02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
95Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top two bell housing bolts

I'm trying to pull my motor out and i cant get the top two bell housing bolts out , i've been searching all over the internet and i've read everything from use 3 foot extensoins to drill holes and cover them up with carpet ( my favored idea right now ),and i am trying to get you guys' way of getting these bolts out, ( its a 95 blazer 4x4)

Old 02-16-2008, 11:47 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Top two bell housing bolts

The suggested way in a chiltons is to loosen all the body bolts and jack the entire front up. I use a bunch of extentsions and a couple of swivels taped up to make sure they stiff.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

This topic has been covered a few times.
One way is with a short wrench or a ratchet with a swivel head, reaching from the top of the motor ( easiest with the distributor removed). Another way is to lower the transmission and use a long extension with a swivel socket over the top of the tranny.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

To get to the top bolts, you will need to remove the transmission mount and lower the back of the transmission. You should get just enough room for a short socket, swivel extension (not universal), and 3' of additional extensions on top of the transmission.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure you don't wack the distributor against the firewall when you lower the trans. (or, in ralph nader-speak.... the bulkhead.....)

Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are pulling the motor, the distributor should already be out. Too much of a chance that you'll damage it during the removal. But good point.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I just swapped my motor on my 97 I got those 2 top bolts just by using snapon uni joint sockets and extensions with a guy up top guiding it on where it needed to be. It was a pain in the rear but it can be done. If I do it again I will remove the tranny x member and lower the tranny.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
jimmyeatworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I pulled mine the same way, Universal and a long extension.... but I had the truck on a lift

Old 03-07-2008, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us have done it again, and again, and again, and again, hence the recommendation to lower the cross brace.

Chevy Lover posted another way, again it is a pain in the *** and you should pull the distributor.

Another way is to use Stubby wrenches (wrenches half the normal length) and go from teh top. Again, a real pain in the butt and the way I did it the 2ndtime.

The first time I lifted the body up 3" in front like the Haynes manual told me to do. That meant taking all but two body mount bolts out, then jacking hte body up via the rad support and a long 2x4. Watching all the wires, hoses, brake lines, etc, etc, etc, to make sure I didn't pull anything apart in teh process.

By far the easiest and fastest way to get those top two bellhousing bolts out is to lower the rear of the tranny. Use a wobble socket, and 3' of extensions.

I have tried useing a regular socket on a U-joint, not enough room between teh bolt and firewall. There is a lip in the way. Once the tranny is out, you can beat that lip flat so its easier the next time.

By far the easiest and fastest way to get those top two bellhousing bolts out is to lower the rear of the tranny. Use a wobble socket, and 3' of extensions.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Fast89z28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did the motor on my 98. I pulled 6 mounts the 2 in the radator support and the 2 in on the front of the cab and the 2 under you butt, lifted it up and stuck 2X4 on both frame rails you can acess every bolt on the back side of that engine. including the dreaded grounds on both heads and bellhousing bolts and the fuel line clamps. if you have acess to a lift i highly recomend it! good luck take it slow and dont get frustrated its hard not to on this job.