Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

torque converter doesn't lock

Old 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road
Default torque converter doesn't lock

So my truck throws a misfire cyl 2.. SO, whenever I clear my codes on the freeway my torque converter will lock for a few seconds, then unlock and not lock back up untill the next time I clear the misfire code(which doesn't get thrown untill I turn off the truck and restart it).

does anyone know why this would be? or how to fix it? or is this directly related to my engine's misfire? Is it possible the TC is warn and the computer is preventing it from locking up but when I clear the codes it erases from the computer the information stored about the TC as well allowing it to lock briefly?

In the past the TC would not lock when the ses light was on, but when I cleared the codes it would lockup and work as it should until the SES light came back on.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 PM

No body has any idea's?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I replied to this last night.

The misfire shouldn't cause the TCC to remain unlocked, but a problem with the ignition switch could explain both issues... Or you could have two completely unrelated issues.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply kyle. I suspect the miss is from a sticking poppet. I put some good clea ner in this tank and the miss is a lot less noticable

Old 12-02-2010, 10:59 PM

If the torque converter slips when it tries to lock, will the computer remember this and not allow it to lock?
or does anyone have a better idea?\

Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Something like that, I would think it would set a code.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Something like that, I would think it would set a code.
hmm. the only code my truck throws is p302, only if i drive it before it warms up. I don't really see another reason for it to only lock for a brief second when I clear that code. It does however appear to 'lock' a little slower then it use to so I guess that is possible.

your idea on the ignition switch, is their any way to rule that out? I would like to cover all grounds before I go tearing my tranny out. Although I will probably just deal with it untill I swap motors...

I might be able to get use of a proper scan tool, I have never personally used one... Does it show any information regarding the TC?

P.S. Yes I have checked my transmission fluid, currently running mobile 1, had it flushed out 4 month ago(was pretty dirty) but the transmission was replaced at the dealership 60K ago... probably did not change the TC though

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator

As I said earlier, I wouldn't think a misfire code would have anything to do with the transmission functions.

You should be able to use the wiring diagrams found in the ignition switch link in my signature to trouble shoot the ignition switch. Start by disconnecting the battery and waiting a good half hour. Next drop the lower hush panel and then the lower trim panel off under the steering column. Then disconnect the large connector under the steering column (I believe it's bolted together). The center section should contain the large wires from the ignition switch. Using the wiring diagrams mentioned above, test for continuity / resistance of each of the main ignition wires in each of the positions to verify proper continuity and that the resistance is pretty low. High resistance could mean that the contacts are going bad.

It's been awhile since I have played with my Autoenginuity scanner and I cannot remember what it would show for torque converter. I seem to recall it showing % slip or something like that...

I hope they would have changed the TC when they replaced the transmission... That would suck if they didn't.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
As I said earlier, I wouldn't think a misfire code would have anything to do with the transmission functions.

You should be able to use the wiring diagrams found in the ignition switch link in my signature to trouble shoot the ignition switch. Start by disconnecting the battery and waiting a good half hour. Next drop the lower hush panel and then the lower trim panel off under the steering column. Then disconnect the large connector under the steering column (I believe it's bolted together). The center section should contain the large wires from the ignition switch. Using the wiring diagrams mentioned above, test for continuity / resistance of each of the main ignition wires in each of the positions to verify proper continuity and that the resistance is pretty low. High resistance could mean that the contacts are going bad.

It's been awhile since I have played with my Autoenginuity scanner and I cannot remember what it would show for torque converter. I seem to recall it showing % slip or something like that...

I hope they would have changed the TC when they replaced the transmission... That would suck if they didn't.

wasn't in my posesion when it was done, saw it on carfax .

I do understand the mis not having anything to do with tc not locking, my last post was more the clearing the codes resets the computer and allows it to lock briefly, and won't lock again untill the computer is reset again, which my scangauge can only do when there is a code present.

I will check my ignition switch this weekend and let you know the results. Thanks again

I will also see if I can get my friend to snag his scan tool from work.... I am pretty sure I can get the TC slip trough the xgauge feature but I can't find the line to program into it haha

Last edited by 69chevelle; 12-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:51 AM

I checked the ignition switch for continuity through the circuits in your diagram (plug unhooked, one prong on the feed pin and the other on the output pin) I don't know the technical terms as I am not a mechanic...

anyway, it seems fine, their was no unusual resistance in any of them.

I was not able to get the scan tool however. so that will have to be done at a later date. Doing some more research tells me that my truck SHOULD be throwing a code with my symptoms? like you mentioned in your previous post... Hopefully the scan tool can tell me something when I can get a hold of it(friend needs to grab it after work from his dealership)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torque converter doesn't lock