Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Torque converter lock up

Old 11-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Blue95Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Torque converter lock up

Hi everyone I have a 1995 Blazer VIN w 4.3 and a 4L60E I recently put a 4L60E in from a 1993 Blazer also vin W it shifts great but I dont seem to have any lock up I have heard there was changes to the 4L60E in 1995 in reguards to the lock up control is there any thing I have to do to the 1993 Trans for it to work right with the 1995 PCM like I said the truck runs great shifts nice just no lock up and thats hard on the gas guage thanks in advance [:@] Eric G

Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Torque converter lock up

Also I wanted to ad this is a Early release 2nd gen the pcm is not locatedon top of the coolant over flow tank it is located under the dash on the pass side

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replace the torque converter? It is possible that the clutch in the torque converter is bad, not allowing lockup or possibly that someone did not have a lockup style converter in the transmission...

Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 AM

the only problem is that it locked up in the 93 fine hmmm I guess I will keep my eye out for another trans do you know if the 2 piece 4L60E 96 and later will fit in my 1995 again thanks for the input

Eric Guglielmetti

Old 11-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I did not indicate that the transmission itself was at fault, but that the torque converter itself may be at fault.

Did you reuse the old torque converter from your old transmission?

I could look at the ATSG manuals for the what changes happened over the course of the 4L60E when I get some time (might not be until next week though).

Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM

sorry no I used the converter that came with the 93 tranny my old trans smoked bad and I wouldnt dare use anything from it

yeah if you could look at that interchange when you get time thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Well, you are in luck, it was an easy find. First page of the update manual:
THM 4L60-E
TCC "PWM" SOLENOID ADDED IN 1995
AND NEW OIL PUMP ASSEMBLY FOR 1995

CHANGE: Beginning at the start of production for 1995 models, all THM 4L60-E transmissions were build with an added "PWM" solenoid on the valve body to control TCC apply feel. The new TCC PWM Solenoid ramps the torque converter clutch on and off, as in most other GM units.
But I guess that is a bad choice of words... You are not in luck because the TCC apply changed in the 95 transmissions... You need a 95 thru mid 96 transmission to get it to work properly again and still have a single piece case. From the ATSG manual, it looks like the bolt on bell housing started production sometime in 1996, but I do not think it made it into Blazers until sometime in 1997. A transmission with the bolt on bellhousing can be used though.

I love these manuals! I need to get the ones for the THM 350, THM 400, and the THM 700-R4 as well.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM

I wonder if I changed the valve body and harness off the bad 95 trans and put it on the good 93 trans hmm maybe it will work if not I will have to put a switch in so I can lock it up my self on long trips ,yeah those book are worth there weight in gold I have been watching E-Bay lol

Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

No, the change also included the separator plate, pump body/cover, and turbine shaft ball capsule. You would need to tear the transmission out again. I am not sure how to take the "interchangeability" note on this section of the manual... I do not believe the case changed, so I have to assume you would need to swap over all of these parts.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 PM

just my luck well thanks for your info and time

Eric G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque converter lock up