Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up

Old 03-06-2017, 06:48 AM
Beginning Member
Lyricalsalvation444 is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up

2003 blazer 4.3L 4x4
Gonna do this in bullets so it's not so much to read...
-just had tranny rebuilt
-new torque converter
-drive fine for 100 miles or so
-started feeling like it slips into neutral and just revs when it should be shifting up
-won't shift hardly at all now without having to rev the engine..seemslike it always shifts when u rev it up high n then let off..
-scanned and got codes p0741 and p0894, p0135, p0141, p0155, p0154...
-first two are trans related..others are exhaust
-I assumed the exhaust codes are because I haven't had the exhaust welded back together..(it was cut to pull tranny)
-please help.. any ideas on what to do..what to rule out?
-talked to the guy that rebuilt it and he said to check the fuses and to replace the tcc solenoid...that it didn't sound like an internal tranny problem...

Last edited by Lyricalsalvation444; 03-06-2017 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Left out info
Old 03-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

What is fluid level and condition? Can you manually shift and get all gears? What was found wrong with transmission before rebuild? I know it's a lot of guestions.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Beginning Member

The fluid seems ok..no burnt smell..it has been using some fluid seems like ever since I've had to start revving it up to get it to shift up...I've also noticed that as far as I can tell it always shifts into 2nd like it's supposed to but anything above that I have to rev the throttle real hard then let off to get it to shift...
im not sure exactly what u mean by being able to manually shift through the gears? It's an automatic tranny..the problem with the tranny before ended up being that I had a transmission cooler line that had a rubber section spliced into the line from a previous owner and it kept collapsing and burning up the transmission..had to put two rebuilt ones in it before we found out what was going on..! Please let me know if there's any other info u need in order to help me...thanks so much .
Originally Posted by Transman304
What is fluid level and condition? Can you manually shift and get all gears? What was found wrong with transmission before rebuild? I know it's a lot of guestions.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lyricalsalvation444
The fluid seems ok..no burnt smell..it has been using some fluid seems like ever since I've had to start revving it up to get it to shift up...I've also noticed that as far as I can tell it always shifts into 2nd like it's supposed to but anything above that I have to rev the throttle real hard then let off to get it to shift...
im not sure exactly what u mean by being able to manually shift through the gears? It's an automatic tranny..the problem with the tranny before ended up being that I had a transmission cooler line that had a rubber section spliced into the line from a previous owner and it kept collapsing and burning up the transmission..had to put two rebuilt ones in it before we found out what was going on..! Please let me know if there's any other info u need in order to help me...thanks so much .
It's different control when you physical put the gear selector in a specific gear (instead of letting it shift itself).

Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
It's different type of control when you physical put the gear selector in a specific gear (instead of letting it shift itself in "D").
Start in 1 and go through first gear to 2500 rpm - then shift the gear selector to 2 and go through 2nd gear to 2500 rpm - then shift the gear selector to 3 and go up to maybe 60 mph- then shift the gear selector into D. Does transmission shift each time through each of the 4 forward gears? Does the engine fail to shift or freewheel at any point in this procedure? p.s. I don't see how rubber hose on a cooler line could ever collapse and/or cause anything other than a leak, as it is always under same pressure as the torque converter. Is someone replacing the radiator, or at least flushing the trans cooler to remove pieces and parts after each trans failure? Back to you Transman!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-07-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Thank Les.lol!
I would just add that if the transmission is "using' fluid it is leaking or the input seal on Transfer case has failed and you t case is way over full on fluid. It does not take long to smoke the 3-4clutches when run low on fluid.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Beginning Member

I tried this several times so I could give u as accurate a answer as possible. It shifts perfect from 1st to 2nd every time..anything higher than that and it free wheels 75% of the time..every now n then it would shift into 3rd manually and drive but not often at all....
the first rebuilt one they put in the lines were not flushed so I'm assuming maybe that's why it went straight back out n had to have another put in...they were flushed good this time though. Radiator was not replaced
Start in 1 and go through first gear to 2500 rpm - then shift the gear selector to 2 and go through 2nd gear to 2500 rpm - then shift the gear selector to 3 and go up to maybe 60 mph- then shift the gear selector into D. Does transmission shift each time through each of the 4 forward gears? Does the engine fail to shift or freewheel at any point in this procedure? p.s. I don't see how rubber hose on a cooler line could ever collapse and/or cause anything other than a leak, as it is always under same pressure as the torque converter. Is someone replacing the radiator, or at least flushing the trans cooler to remove pieces and parts after each trans failure? Back to you Transman!!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Beginning Member

May be completely unrelated n I was told it was the neutral safety switch that's most likely causing it... the display on the dash does n select the gears correctly...like every time I put it in neutral or pass neutral the light switches to park..locks the doors and jumps back to neutral...and if I pull it all the way down to 1st it stays lit up on second and won't light up 1st...but as far as I can tell the positions in the shifter always match up to the corresponding gear....it just doesn't match up on the dash

I tried this several times so I could give u as accurate a answer as possible. It shifts perfect from 1st to 2nd every time..anything higher than that and it free wheels 75% of the time..every now n then it would shift into 3rd manually and drive but not often at all....
the first rebuilt one they put in the lines were not flushed so I'm assuming maybe that's why it went straight back out n had to have another put in...they were flushed good this time though. Radiator was not replaced

Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 AM

May be completely unrelated n I was told it was the neutral safety switch that's most likely causing it... the display on the dash does n select the gears correctly...like every time I put it in neutral or pass neutral the light switches to park..locks the doors and jumps back to neutral...and if I pull it all the way down to 1st it stays lit up on second and won't light up 1st...but as far as I can tell the positions in the shifter always match up to the corresponding gear....it just doesn't match up on the dash
We better wait for transman on this one! But if the PCM doesn't know which gear it's in, I imagine that could be a big problem for controlling the line pressure and shift solenoids. Pretty interesting problem. Maybe someone installed the neutral safety switch on the transmission wrong?

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-08-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member

I don't make but I definitely am desperate for help ...I have a construction and landscaping businesss and that's my only way to hail my equipment .....thanks for all the help so far
We better wait for transman on this one! But if the PCM doesn't know which gear it's in, I imagine that could be a big problem for controlling the line pressure and shift solenoids. Pretty interesting problem. Maybe someone installed the neutral safety switch on the transmission wrong?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny just rebuilt...won't shift up