Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny leak out the bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah i would.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:00 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I am going to take the truck to a transmission shop tomorrow to get an inspection and estimate. However I have questions of what to expect if and when they do the repair.

1. Do they have to drop the pan at all? I got a drain plug.
2. Do they have to drain the transmission or transfer case? Do I have to get alot of fluid for this?
3. Can they find the probable cause for the leak by looking in the inspection hole after taking the cover off?
4. Would it be more cost effective to also get the rear seal done?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 AM

1. Not unless they replace the filter

2.yes to trans no to transfer case

3.probably. There's only 2 external seals in the bell housing. The pump to housing and the torque converter seal.

4. Yes. They will have to pull the trans to do the rear main. That being the case it's cheaper to have the trans pulled once than twice. Unless you're talking about the rear trans seal. In that case it might be slightly cheaper but that can be done with the trans in by just dropping the t case

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
1. Not unless they replace the filter

2.yes to trans no to transfer case

3.probably. There's only 2 external seals in the bell housing. The pump to housing and the torque converter seal.

4. Yes. They will have to pull the trans to do the rear main. That being the case it's cheaper to have the trans pulled once than twice. Unless you're talking about the rear trans seal. In that case it might be slightly cheaper but that can be done with the trans in by just dropping the t case
TWO seals?! What if it is the torque converter?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM

The torque converter seal is the seal that I would assume is leaking. The other one is an o ring between the pump and trans housing. That one almost never fails. The torque converter itself shouldn't be leaking externally unless it got a hole in it which is very unlikely.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:40 PM

I took it to one tranny shop before. They say:

1. The trans needs to come out and there is definitely a slow front leak
2. Unknown what it actually is before they pull it.
3. There is no leak into the transfer case or out the rear (No overfill situation, they pulled the fill plug)
4. The trans works fine and while a rebuild is up to me, it isn't needed (or in my budget)
5. That my emergency brake doesn't work (Already knew that. They said I have a brake light on. Most mechanics try to move my truck without releasing the E-brake and now it doesn't work)
6. That I need a new front wheel bearing (based on the test drive)

1-5 are facts, #6 is debatable since I had both wheel bearings replaced in the spring (AGAIN!) and they were last checked November and were confirmed fine (I checked myself also). I am guessing the Pacemark Snowtrakker ST/2 tires are the cause since they make alot of noise which mimic a bad wheel bearing. I asked which side just as a test and after about 10 seconds he said passenger side. Any thoughts on this? They are snow tires that already make alot of noise, so could this be it? I got an alignment scheduled for Thursday.

By the way, I asked about details about the 4L60E since I got curious when I saw he had an S-10 with a blown torque converter on the lift and a Trailblazer outside that they had to push out of the garage to make room for another car and then later move my truck in. This business owner seems to know his stuff and I didn't have any repairs done yet. I don't normally judge a business this early, but I feel confident that if I have this done there that I can be sure it will be done right. He said:

1. They normally last 125k before anything major happens
2. The 3-4 clutch and sunshell are the most common problems. Sunshell failures depend on alot of factors including the driver. Some only last 60k. I guess my tranny cooler would make 3-4 last longer, but I didn't ask about that. Surprised he didn't freak out when I said I have a cooler because most mechanics do because I don't tow or plow (Pay no attention to the 7-way and 4-way sockets on the rear. Never used it for other than lights and not on a towed vehicle. Plus I have no brake controller.).
3. They are average and are not worse than other American trannys
4. The Lucas is garbage as with most additives because of seal problems, but he doesn't believe it is the cause of this seal problem.
5. I asked if any make it to 200k and he said yes, but that is because they have been in there before.
6. My seal leak could be anything from the front pump seal to the O-ring to a torque converter seal to a cracked torque converter.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM

Everything he has told you is true, I'd trust what he says. Most transmissions (in heavy duty applications) need to be rebuilt twice to every motor rebuild. That being said a gasoline engine SHOULD (although rarely does that translate to does) last 300k miles and a trans 150k. However there's exceptions to every rule in both directions.

I'd trust this guy and if his pricing is fair i would let him do the work. Will he warranty his repairs? (even if it's only a 30 day warranty it's something) He's not doing anything major so a long term warranty is out, however I'd be more inclined to believe he is as good a mechanic as he sounds like if he'd warranty for say 30 days against workmanship. That way if you leave and a week later you have the same seal he replaced leaking you at least have some butt coverage.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike98Blazer
Everything he has told you is true, I'd trust what he says. Most transmissions (in heavy duty applications) need to be rebuilt twice to every motor rebuild. That being said a gasoline engine SHOULD (although rarely does that translate to does) last 300k miles and a trans 150k. However there's exceptions to every rule in both directions.

I'd trust this guy and if his pricing is fair i would let him do the work. Will he warranty his repairs? (even if it's only a 30 day warranty it's something) He's not doing anything major so a long term warranty is out, however I'd be more inclined to believe he is as good a mechanic as he sounds like if he'd warranty for say 30 days against workmanship. That way if you leave and a week later you have the same seal he replaced leaking you at least have some butt coverage.
Yea I agree. 150k? I hope that this one lasts longer than that. It should with the Lucas (even though it is bad, but I hear mixed reviews on it), the cooler and deep pan. It runs cool.

He said 6 hours labor to drop the tranny. $450 plus parts (not much if it is just the seal) and fluid (with the deep pan, a case of it or I would have to bring my own). Said nothing about warranty. Other places said $600-1000. One said $1800 to rebuild. The one who wanted to rebuild said no warranty on the seal, 12 months/12k miles if I have it rebuilt. I am still looking at estimates near my middle-of-nowhere college near the capital region of upstate NY and some at home (downstate, Hudson Valley). Most of these businesses seem honest, reasonable and do quality work. I will NEVER go back to an AAMCO. Not only are they expensive, but considering the nearly 700 complaints on RipOff Report and F BBB ratings, that is even more reason not to. Other chain places or dealers are not much better. What I learned is that small town mechanics are the best, especially when they get to know you because then they might cut you a break from time to time and they don't try to cheat you. Plus keeping my money on local businesses helps them survive and doesn't support the dishonest activities and poor quality work of big businesses.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM

Oh I totally agree, I don't go to a mechanic often because i'm a DIY er but when i do i go to a guy up the road, I've been there a few times and my stepdad uses him alot. He's such a nice guy, they even sent me a handwritten christmas card that his whole family and daughters and everything signed. That means alot more to me than some computer generated card that dealers, etc. try to send out.

I'd go with the guy you got that estimate from, I have a good feelin about him LOL

Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM

Spoke with another tranny shop. $300 to pull the trans and he is concerned about this because he says that seal is not a common item to fail and the bushing might be the problem. So what is the big deal with this bushing? Obviously it can cause a leak, but how much damage can it actually cause?

Quick Reply: Tranny leak out the bellhousing