Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 01:32 PM
gary141412 is on a distinguished road
Default transmission issues

I start engine, press brake pedal won't go in gear, do I need to adjust NSS.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is actually happening when you say that it "won't go into gear"? Is it stuck in park? Are you able to move the shifter, but the truck will not move either forward or backward under it's own power? Please be as detailed as possible to avoid confusion. Either case can be caused by widely varied failures so clear details are a must.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road
Default no move

gary141412,
No movement in any gear range.
Have you confirmed that you are pumping fluid already, by checking if the fluid level changes from not running to running?
Next if you will confirm that the selector lever or manual lever is moving. IE in and out of park.
There is only a couple of things that it can cause no movement.
If you analyze the power flow (I will be happy to forward a copy of a tech page is you wish) there are only a few common denominators to a no move no engagement. The torque converter, input shaft and output shaft are the only things that can cause no movement what so ever and I have yet to see a broken output shaft. All other internals would allow either movement with grinding or at least a garage shift/engagement. Even a broken sun shell/reverse reaction shell gives you forward movement but no reverse. I have recently had a vehicle with a broken sprag inside the converter and a different one that had a broken input drum. Both of these were a no movement and no engagement into any gear range. the NSS is exactly that a neutral safety switch. It does not allow the engine to start unless it is out of gear.
The manual valve (the NSS is attached to this) in the valve body directs fluid to the forward or reverse clutches. Solenoids do not control engagements into or out of gear. The EPC (electronic pressure control) solenoid is for line rise only. Even w/o the EPC solenoid you will get 65+ psi of pressure at idle in or out of gear. That is enough to at least give a garage shift engagement to either forward or reverse. The shift solenoids are just that; shift solenoids. They redirect fluid to the actual shift valve for a gear change. If you have no movement in any range and confirmed the vehicle will go in/out of park. I would suspect either a bad/broken torque converter first and a broken input drum 2nd. It is also possible for the trouble to be further down the gear train. Even if you are actually getting the transmission to engage it is possible to have a broken input in the TFC or something of that nature.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:15 AM
gary141412 is on a distinguished road

IIt works fine when it comes out of park, I hear a clicking sound under dash when I press the shifter button.