Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Issues (Heat + TCC?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member
brooklynRick is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Issues (Heat + TCC?)

I have an 82 K5 with 32" tires and stock rear gears and a 305. I'm not sure if the original owner installed this 700r4 replacing stock or not.

I was driving a couple of weeks ago and all of the sudden I saw smoke behind me and my transmission overheated. It happened again another time. I think that the fluid level was low. I filled it up but then it was leaking like a motherF.
However it seemed to stop leaking and when I got home I changed the oil and filter and put in a temp gauge.

Now on my drive to PA it started to overheat again and finally got to 250 when I pulled over, this happened a couple of times. Then I tried running it in 3 and everything was fine and the temp settled in at 180 and I was hauling ***.

1) I'm guessing the TCC was not engaging and the slipping was too much in 4th?
2) If I fix the tcc wont that keep it cooler?
3) Does anyone know if the 82 came with 700r4 and how the stock system would engage the TCC via vacuum and what I can look for to find out if this is set up? The PO could have installed a 700r4 and never used the TCC right?
4) If I do set up the TCC and not change the rear gears I'll get great mileage but it will chug up hills I'm thinking, but is that bad for the tranny or engine?

TIA
Rick

Old 07-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1982 was the first year for the 700R4. It had an electronically locked torque converter. I believe it would lock in 4th gear.

Whether it will keep it cooler depends on what is happening inside your trans. If the converter clutch is trying to lock, but is not, then it will generate a lot of heat, but the same can be said for the bands/clutches that are applied for 4th gear. It just depends on what is going on. I believe that you can test this by disconnecting the electrical connector on the passenger side of the transmission. If the problem is not present with the connector disconnected, then the TCC is your problem and more diagnosis is required. If it is still present, then the problem is likely internal to the trans.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member
brooklynRick is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll try that tonight

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If the problem is not present with the connector disconnected, then the TCC is your problem and more diagnosis is required. If it is still present, then the problem is likely internal to the trans.
You have me confused with this. If you unplug it the converter cannot lock so the slipping will still be present, how would that point to the TCC?

Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Prior to lockup torque converters, all torque converters slipped and didn't result in transmission fluid overheating. More heat would be generated by a slipping TCC than by a torque converter that is just being a torque converter. Disconnecting the electrical connector responsible for powering the TCC solenoid, you remove the possibility of it attempting to lock up.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Took me a minute but I completely missed ruling out the clutch inside the converter. DOH! It's just that when I think TCC, I only think solonoid, that really either works or it doesn't. That converter clutch is kind of 'out of sight out of mind' for me I suppose.