Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Beginning Member
danthony428 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Leak

I have a 1996 2wd jimmy. I got this about 4-6 months back from my step dad, the thing only had around 54000 miles on it when i got it. There were no leaks, no problems.

Today I was getting under it to change the oil, and I noticed 2 spots under my parking spot, they were about 3 inches in diameter and I started inspecting, and it looks like i've got a leak coming from the transmission.

Here is a picture

It doesn't look to be coming from the pan gasket, it looks like its coming from above that. Is this a main seal? I've never worked on a jimmy before this one, and I have little experience with transmission issues. Can someone please help me diagnose this thing.

At the same time, how bad is this, It seemed to just pop up in the last few days, I never saw a single spot underneath it before that.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member

After inspecting further. This looks like it might be an oil leak. I'm going to keep tinkering and searching. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Can't even see the transmission in this image Looks like it could be a timing cover seal leaking, front crankshaft seal, or even running down from a lower intake gasket leak. Clean it up with some carb cleaner spray, drive it for a few miles, and check it again. The oil lines are dry, that's a miracle in itself!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member

I was wrong, I was half asleep when I was under there this morning. It had nothing to do with the transmission. It seems to be either the oil pan gasket, or the rear main seal. It didn't leak until it wasn't being driven everyday.

I changed the oil today with some high mileage with seal conditioner, and I'll be driving it every day again. Hopefully it slows up or stops completely. I did clean it up with some carb cleaner and I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

Sorry for the noob moment guys, this is my first rear wheel drive car, and also my first car that hasn't been an inline 4.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

No problem, just messing with you The rear main seal is at the rear of the engine The one in question is in the front, "front crankshaft seal", MUCH easier and cheaper to replace than a rear main seal. Glad to see you're done with inline fours. This V6 is 262 cubic inches of nothing but rompin', stompin' dynamite! Basically a 350 V8 with two cylinders amputated, same bore and stroke.