Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Jeklund is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Pan Shift Cable Removal

I was wanting to do a fluid and filter change on my 97 blazers transmission and was having trouble removing the shifter cable from the bracket to get at the bolts underneath it. Whats the proper way to remove the cable so I can at the bolts and drop the pan?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM
1998 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Block the wheels so the vehicle can't roll either direction. Shift the trans to neutral. Remove the metal clip that secures the cable to the bracket, slide the cable rearward and out of the bracket. You don't need to disconnect the cable from the shift lever. When you slide the cable rearward, the shift lever on the trans will also move rearward and allow access to the pan bolts.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the quick response, Is clip your talking about the U shaped one that slides down and out? I found this picture of the setup:

Click the image to open in full size.

The clip I'm talking about is on the left side of the bracket (Relative to the picture) or is it the off white looking thing on the right side. I had pulled that U shaped clip on the left off but couldn't figure out how to get the cable out. I did have the vehicle in park though would that have been the problem?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM
1998 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It's the metal clip left of the bracket, you can see the other end of the clip, straight up, with a dimple on it. Might have to compress the black plastic tabs to pull it through, can't remember for sure. I usually use a 1/4" drive socket, extension and a ratchet to get the bolts out, and don't bother removing the cable from the bracket.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks I figured it out yesterday and got the whole job done, What I did was remove that clip and then you have to pinch the black tabs and the cable pulls right through. After I pulled it through I took the bolt off that holds the lever looking thing on and move the cable to the side so I would have more room. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM
1998 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

Glad we could help. Thanks for posting back.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Tags
2010, adjust, blazer, bracket, cable, chevrolet, chevy, gen, location, removing, shift, shifter, shifting, transmission, truck