Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Slip? 2000 Blazer 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member
A1 Handyy is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Slip? 2000 Blazer 2wd

I have a 2000 Blazer 2wd that has had a whine in the transmission for about a year. Everything worked fine however until yesterday when I noticed a slip when shifting occaionally. It was only noticeable once the transmission got hot. I checked the fluid and added a qt.. Today however after traveling for about 50 miles when I tried to pull off from a stop light it would barly move forward as the engined revved up. Once it started forward it shifted OK and I made it home. I noticed the fluid was black on the stick and as far as I know it has never been changed. Someone mentioned that the problem could be the old fluid and a clogged filter. Does anyone else agree or have any other ideas or should I begin looking for a transmission.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:48 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road

I would tend to agree with you change it but do not flush it as I believe that is where the trouble will start, and you will be needing a new one

Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road
Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 PM
bandit_60 is on a distinguished road

i would have to say your transmission needs a good fluid and filter change, but don't flush it, just change the fluid and filter ! I will tell you something that always worked for me and I use it all the time ! it's called ( trans-medic ) it works really great ! depending where you live weather you can get it or not ! I get mine from a place called ( auto supermarket ) change the fluid and filter and pour a bottle in on top of the new fluid but watch you don't overfill it, and then take your car for a drive !

Old 03-19-2016, 03:56 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by A1 Handyy
I have a 2000 Blazer 2wd that has had a whine in the transmission for about a year. Everything worked fine however until yesterday when I noticed a slip when shifting occaionally. It was only noticeable once the transmission got hot. I checked the fluid and added a qt.. Today however after traveling for about 50 miles when I tried to pull off from a stop light it would barly move forward as the engined revved up. Once it started forward it shifted OK and I made it home. I noticed the fluid was black on the stick and as far as I know it has never been changed. Someone mentioned that the problem could be the old fluid and a clogged filter. Does anyone else agree or have any other ideas or should I begin looking for a transmission.
Trans is toast if the fluid is black and it is slipping. Fluid being black is the effect of being too hot and slipping, not the cause of a problem. To fix it with a fluid change is only wishful thinking. If fluid is black the trans certainly got hot enough to damage a lot of seals and other things. Sorry!!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Trans is toast if the fluid is black and it is slipping. Fluid being black is the effect of being too hot and slipping, not the cause of a problem. To fix it with a fluid change is only wishful thinking. If fluid is black the trans certainly got hot enough to damage a lot of seals and other things. Sorry!!
I agree with this, if it is black, its burnt beyond anything and the temp has damaged a lot of the internals.
Changing the fluid and doing all of that I do not think will fix the slipping.