Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Slip when it rains..

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member
ShawnS89 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Slip when it rains..

3I have a 95 S10 Blazer 4x4 Automatic...

This seems to be a fairly common problem. I've noticed since last winter here in Michigan (Very brutal and quite wet) that whenever it got really wet out and now during the spring when it rains my transmission will start to slip at light throttle. today it was raining very hard, and I had the same problem after driving for a while.

When I got home I check my tranny fluid and it was very thin and there were small bubbles in it.

My thought process: Somehow water is getting into my transmission in wet weather, and this is thinning out my trans fluid. At highway speeds on light throttle, the slip is most noticeable. At the low RPMs, the TC spins slower and the fluid pressure inside the trans is already low, and couple with the thinning caused by rain water, the pressure is insufficient to maintain gear properly..

I'm trying to figure out how water is getting into my trans.. I noticed what looks like a vacuum line coming from the top of the trans that is leading to nowhere. It has what looks like a "factory" cut 45 degree angle at the end. From what I've found in my research, this is an intentional design for venting... I've also read somewhere that this allows fluid to drain out if it expands to a certain point...

If this hose is meant to be open, can I add an extension to it and run it up to the engine bay to try to prevent moisture from entering into this tube??

Any advice is much appreciated. This seems to be a design flaw and common problem for a wide range of the S10 Blazers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks!

EDIT:: My Blazer runs great in dry weather, the trans is still strong. Also, I've known it's had this problem for a while now, cause the trans dipstick is rusted, but this is the first time I've caught the fluid all bubbly and so thin... Want to nip this in the bud before I burn up my trans!!

Last edited by ShawnS89; 05-14-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:19 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

yes you can add a hose to the vent and extend it up to the engine compartment - do i think you are getting water in the trans when it rains through the vent no - if you was river diving and compleatly submerging the trans for a length of time maybe - i have read somewhere about the seal at the top of the dipstick can be weak creating light condisation causing rust on the dipstick and inner tube - as trans fluid heats up while driving it will apear thinner than cold before driving - if you happen to have the 4l60e trans i would check all electrical conections and make sure they are tight and sealed and rain water is not interfearing with them causing your slipage