Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
LuckyD is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Whine

I Hve a 99 Blazer, I can hear a loud noise from the transmission(I think). The whine sound is consistent with engine rpm, it does it in 2 wheel or 4 wheel, when I put it in neutral while driving the sound goes away. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your transmission fluid first while the engine is running, hot, and in park. If your transmission is low on fluid I would then remove the fill bolt on the rear driver side of your transfer case(30mm) to see if the seal between the two is leaking transmission fluid into your transfer case thus overfilling it. I would check your ujoints on your driveshaft(s) as well. If you can get a video with audio that would help us out so much more. It is so hard with variables that people consider a whine, roar, click, stumble, sputter it will be hard to give you a bang on answer without being there or at least hearing it.

If you do not have the means to record some audio I would call up some reputable transmission shops and get them to check the noise for cheap or free. Of course post back with your results!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

First, start with the basics. Most "whines" are belt driven engine related such as alternator, power steering, water pump, idler pulleys etc....
So, you could try removing the surpentine belt and start the car. Don't let it run too long, just a few seconds to see if the noise has gone away. Noise gone away? It's not the transmission, it's one of the belt driven accessories.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM

I checked the transfer case fluid and it was empty, filled it up and the noise is still there. The transmission fluid was right on the money. I just bought this truck(for cheap) and could not take it for a good test drive, because it had no brakes. I did not hear the noise because i was pretty much just idling down the road. I did a bunch of work on it (brakes, bodywork etc.) and when taking it down for the safety I heard it. The truck in up on axle stands in the garage right now(rear calipers that siezed when resetting for the new pads, and exhaust). Will finish tommorrow and take for another drive and check the things you guys posted. I'm pretty sure it's not a belt or I would hear it when the truck is running in park. When I'm driving down the road and put it in N the sound goes away. Sorry about the delay in my reply (Pretty busy).

Thanks for your help guys!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Could be an internal hard part causing tranny to whine. So you have never been able to take it for a good test drive to see how the tranny acts?

Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Transmission works perfectly, just that sound.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member
1995 Blazer is on a distinguished road

i have a 1995 that whines i just thought nothing of it i got it with 188,000 now it has 223,000 and it still whines never gave me any problems i wouldent worry about it

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

If its the transmission its probably the torque converter or pump. Hold your brake and shift through all gears. Accelerate. If the whine does not change in sound it is prob the TC. If the whinning sound changes its prob the pump since different gears pump fluid at different rates. If it is the TC check your fluid for a dark metal coloration.

This type of TC when bad may still last along time or it may go out tomorrow, Just do as I had my wife do....dont drive outside the immediate area.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:13 PM

I will try your test, just changing a ball joint and idler arm, to bring back for safety in the morning. Almost done with this headache!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:14 AM

I put the truck in gear, held the brake pedal and the sound changes with the RPM's, would this mean the pump?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Whine