Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > Engine & Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM

barredjack is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission won't shift, ABS Light on, Speedometer at 0

When starting my 2000 Blazer the other day, for the first 200 feet of driving, the ABS light never went off, the speedometer remained at 0, and the transmission wouldn't automatically shift. Within 60 seconds the light went off, the speedometer started working, and the car shifted. It has done this two other times since but always behaves normally within a couple of minutes. I don't see how all three of those systems could have failed especially since they all work properly the rest of the time.

(I recently did some work in a couple of different areas but I'm curious how people will respond without further details. I don't want to unduly influence anyone's opinion especially since the work might not have anything to do with my current problem.)

Thanks.

Jack
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

All three of those systems have at least one thing in common, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Something is causing an interruption in the signal from the VSS to the PCM, resulting in the symptoms you are experiencing.

This OBD2 trouble code thread has the wiring schematic:
P0502 - VSS (vehicle speed sensor) Low Input
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Starting Member

Gale is an unknown quantity at this point

I too think an electrical connector that is loose. That happened to our fuel pump when the crankshaft position sensor connector got loose.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 PM

Thanks to you both! I just had some work done and although I haven't crawled underneath it yet to figure out where the VSS is located, I'm wondering if it was somehow damaged when the rear main seal was replaced. (cheap part, a lot of labor!) Seems too much of a coincidence, but then again, I'm not sure where these two things are in relation to each other - yet.

Jack
Old 01-16-2012, 01:32 PM

swrtlkk - thank you. I replaced the VSS and that did the trick. Part cost about 60 bucks and it took longer to take off the skid plate than it did to replace the part - super easy. I'll try to attach photos to this post in the hopes that it helps someone else.

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums - barredjack's Album: Vehicle Speed Sensor

Jack
Old 01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

I am glad that my information made for a quick & easy fix for you! Thanks for letting us know!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Starting Member

gummomarx is on a distinguished road

I have had this exact problem in the past but at one point it went away and I didn't wind up changing the VSS, which I imagined was the case.

How much did this affect your transmission when you were having this issue, did the truck go into limp mode/rumble when stopped at a red light/flashing check engine light?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM
1996 GMC Jimmy
My Garage

AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

flashing check engine light means servere misfire. Its probably in limp mode because of that.
98 Blazer 4x4 - Sold
78 Suburban - Sold
99 Bravada - Sold
95 K1500 4.3 5 speed - Sold
85 Toyota Celica - Sold
88 F150 - Sold
96 S10 ZR2 - sold
I'm just goning to stop listing more things as they just keep adding up
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Tags
2000, abs, blazer, bravada, chevrolet, light, odometer, shift, speedo, speedometer, stopped, transmission, vss, wont, work, working