Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission won't shift out of first gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
chevyjim is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission won't shift out of first gear

The transmission in my 2000 Blazer 4x4 works fine in reverse, but won't shift out of 1st gear when the shifter is in the "D" position. It will shift to 2nd gear if I manually shift to the "2" position. If I shift manually to the "3" position, it will go back into first gear. Any suggestions on what could be the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jim

Old 03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

vehicle speed sensor? i left mine unhooked when i swapped transfercases and thats the same symptoms.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

X2 on the vehicle speed sensor . Mine went bad and the speedometer didn't work right and wouldn't shift right .

Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM
rolrod21 is on a distinguished road

2 months ago I had a similar problem. 1998 Blazer would't shift past 2nd gear. My speedometer wouldn't work and the ABS light came on. I got a tip from this site refering to the speed sensor (Tranny) and when I checked the sensor for possible replacement, the wires 3 inched from the sensor were frayed. I peeled back some wire and used electical tape and the car got back to normal. Hope this possibilty works for you.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 PM
chevyjim is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input everyone! I changed the vehicle speed sensor and it's shifting fine now!

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you got it fixed! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Beginning Member
rednekk is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 2000 Bravada doing exactly the same thing. For a few days, it didn't want to shift out of first on its own, but by feathering the gas I could make it shift pretty well. Once it was out of first, it was fine. Now, I can't get it to shift out of first at all.

The only difference I see from what the OP was experiencing is that my speedometer is working fine, and my ABS light is not on. Is the speed sensor still the likely culprit? If so, where is this sensor located?

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
rednekk is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I put in a new VSS last night, and the problem persists. I'd appreciate any input on where to look next.

One thing I noticed is that when I screwed the new VSS in fully, the plug was oriented about 90 degrees from the original. No chance that would be a problem, is there?

Thank you.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
ryansim2025 is on a distinguished road

I'm having nearly the same problem as the OP. I thought my transmission was bad, because it wouldn't shift from 2nd into 3rd or 4th. It goes out of 2nd, and kinda hangs. The Spedo is defunct, and the ABS light comes on a few minutes after starting to drive. Where would the speed sensor be located, and is there only one sensor or multiple sensors, like O2 sensors?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
ryansim2025 is on a distinguished road

OK. Just looked under my 97. All the sensors are intact and are connected by what seem like good wires. The vehicle was in an accident recently, so do we think it could have messed up the sensors without leaving any visual evidence behind? The ABS light I've found comes on when I try to manually shift it into 3rd, the tranny shifts out of 2nd but wont grab 3rd and THEN my ABS light comes on.

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift out of first gear