Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member
trojancatcherman is on a distinguished road
Default Truck wont start

I have a 2000 chevy blazer with the 4.3L and i was driving down the highway when my engine just quit, it would sputter but i couldnt rev it. I checked the distributer and i have spark, the fuel pump is less than a year old and it does work, i can hear it kick on. I can also smell the fuel. What could it possibly be?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
bjsx8f is an unknown quantity at this point

M.A.P sensor

Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

MAP sensor?? What are you basing this on???

Is the check engine light on? If it is, you need to get the codes read and let us know what they are.

Just because you can smell fuel and hear the fuel pump come on, it does not mean that the pump is supplying adequate pressure to the engine. I would start with a fuel pressure test.

Also, having spark and having spark at the appropriate time are two different things as well. You could check your timing.

You also may want to do a compression test to see if the timing chain may have jumped.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member

Well unfortunatly being in the military i dont have access to all the tools i need to do some of the fix it stuff so i cant get it into the shop until tuesday. So hopefully ill find out sometime after that.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know when you get some results of the mentioned diagnostic tests.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Beginning Member

So it turns out that it was the distributor shaft that broke inside the block....But I finally have my truck back and it runs.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Broke in the block? Can you explain further? Have any pictures of the old parts?

Glad you got it fixed!!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member

No i dont have any pictures. Unfortunately I couldnt really understand what the guy was telling me when he was explaining cause in washington dc its hard to find someone who speaks english. But something on the distributor broke and it had to be replaced.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trojancatcherman
Unfortunately I couldnt really understand what the guy was telling me when he was explaining cause in washington dc its hard to find someone who speaks english.
How unfortunately true. If you need a guy you can speak to try Fairland Automotive on Old Columbia Turnpike. Talk to Woody. Very decent guy.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks alot man, Ill keep him in mind if something else goes wrong, I definatly need a place i can trust to do work on my truck.