Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Two Seperate blazers, both with transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:49 AM
behemoth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two Seperate blazers, both with transmission issues

Alright, I have a 99 and a 97 blazer, and i'm trying to get them back up and running.

The 97 slips out of third, and if I can get it in 4th, will stay for a little, but will eventually drop out. - I pulled the dipstick, and there is much too much fluid, and it looks like motor oil, not trans fluid. - I also got underneath, and it doesnt look like anythings leaking, but most of the pan bolts were movable by hand.... - I'm gonna do a filter/gasket/fluids and hope this takes care of it, but i'm doubting its that easy.

The 98 is 'stuttering' as best i can describe it. It ususally does it between 2k and 3k rpm, and when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Sometimes its real bad, sometimes it doesnt do it at all.

The transfer case on the 99 is also real hard to push/pull the actuator. - I've replaced the actuator cable because my original one was seized in the line, but with the new one, the vacuum actuator is no where near strong enough to push or pull it. I can do it manually, but its a giant pain in the ***. Anything in there I can do to let it move a little easier?

I guess i'll do all the fluids, filters, gaskets, etc, do the transmission too like on the 97...

Neither have codes.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a bad 3-4 clutch pack in the 97.

The shudder in the '99 could be a problem with the transmission fluid pump...

On the front axle in the '99, you may want to drop the front axle extension housing and take a look at the engagement mechanism inside. You may have damaged gears/collar inside there that is causing the difficult engagement. It also could be a problem with the return springs causing it to bind up.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Alright.

I've dropped transmissions before, never really opened one up - How hard is a 3-4 clutch pack to do? I just found one online (quick search) for like 40 bucks. - That about right?

I'll take a look at the front axle housing, and see what i can see.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You basically have to gut the transmission... There is a lot that can go wrong with this so you will want to have someone with experience there to guide you if it's your first time.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Well, I did all the fluids all around, and other than having fresh fluids, nothings changed.

Part of me wants to just say to hell with it, and get rid of both trucks, but I hate to throw away potential.

I havent called any local shops yet, but I can only imagine the price point for even DROPPING a transmission to LOOK at it.

Monster transmissions has new trans for like 1500 - 2000....

Any other suggestions?