Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What fluid and how much for front diff and transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member
Fullsizeon38s is on a distinguished road
Default What fluid and how much for front diff and transfer case?

I have a 1994 chevy 2 Door full size blazer 4x4 with the 5.7 350

I'm going to change the fluid in the front diff and check the fluid on the transfer case, hopefully my input seal isn't bad.

What kind of fluid and how much does the front diff take? And what about the transfer case? Thanks for any help!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member

Anybody?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

well the front diff should take the same thing that the rear end takes, 80-90w. pop out the fill plug and fill it until it is right below the threads for the plug. as far as the transfer case i am not sure as i have a wee-little blazer and it takes trans fluid. i dont want to give out info that i dont know as fact.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i just replaced two envoy transfercases this week. both took maybe 2.5 qts of autotrak fluid.

front ends.... maybe 1.5-2 quarts. unless youre penny pinching just buy like 3-4 for the transfercase and 3 for the front axle. doesnt hurt to have extra on the shelf encase you ever get a leak

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM

you only put the autotrac fluid in the 4 button automatic transfer cases. my 3 button takes regular transfluid. but the OP has a full size.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Twip
you only put the autotrac fluid in the 4 button automatic transfer cases. my 3 button takes regular transfluid. but the OP has a full size.
ive got the manual shifter down on the floor board

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fullsizeon38s
then i would think that it would be gear fluid. BUT, please dont take that as fact. i dont know if that is an absolute positive though so please do some more research to be sure.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think it takes just atf. i only mentioned the autotrak fluid just for the heck of it. both those cases were the 4 way transfercases

Old 02-17-2013, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by abig84
i think it takes just atf. i only mentioned the autotrak fluid just for the heck of it. both those cases were the 4 way transfercases
i know mine takes atf being a 3 button on a s-10 blazer. but he has a full size k5 so i dont know if they take the same thing. i know that the diffs should take the same thing and that would be the gear oil. (80-90w) im just not sure about full size transfer cases. and i would hate to give out some bad info by mistake and have said person waste money on fluid and then have to do the work again and spend more money getting the right stuff and then the trouble of getting rid of the other stuff.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:01 AM

I have a 1994 chevy 2 Door full size blazer 4x4 with the 5.7 350

I'm going to change the fluid in the front diff and check the fluid on the transfer case, hopefully my input seal isn't bad.

What kind of fluid and how much does the front diff take? And what about the transfer case? Thanks for any help!
i dont know why i didnt think about this until right now but, you could just pull the fill plug on the transfer case and stick your finger in there. dont worry, its not going to cut off your finger. get some fluid on there and give it a smell. when you are done with that, wash your hands and then go look in the mirror so you can get it off the end of your nose. lol.
if it smells like atf, then you know what you need, same thing with the gear oil. your front diff is gear oil, but i dont know how much. just buy a gallon of it and do the rear end first and refill it. then do the front and if its not full when the gallon is empty, (it should be, but like i said, im not sure) you can drive it to the store at that point in 2wd and get anything that you need. just dont forget to top it off.

Quick Reply: What fluid and how much for front diff and transfer case?