Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

what tranny fits my blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
dinar blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what tranny fits my blazer?

I have 96 chevy blazer 4wd.I have been told only 96,97 tranny will fit it.Is this true?Thanks Mike

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what tranny fits my blazer?

Yeah, that is pretty much it. 96 was the first year for the pulse width modulated (PWM) torque converter clutch control which would vary the clutch apply pressure for a variable lockup. Using an earlier transmission will burn up the TCC solenoid. Then 98 was the first year the two piece main case (removable bell housing). You may be able to bolt up the transmission, but it is not classified as a direct replacement.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:35 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

i know i've said this a few times but i'll say it again...my 96 2wd blazer came with the 2 piece tranny.....

Old 02-21-2009, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Its probably been replaced at some point then..

Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked and it was used as early as 96, however, 98 was the first year where they all were this style. It seems that it was phased in with VERY few having a two piece main case in 96, more in 97, and all in 98. So I stand corrected.

*EDIT* - The above information is from the ATSG 4L60E/65E Update Manual. It does not differentiate between what was originally installed in what vehicles. Other information I have found states that the fullsize trucks were equipped with the two piece main case first from mid-96 on and only from certain assembly plants. The s-series variants were phased in after that, but I cannot find specifics. Any references that I can find state 98 as the first full year for the s-series, but they do not state any phase in.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

so...since the torque converter clutch is special on 96 and 97s, those people having a 2 piece tranny in a 96 are stuck with finding another 2 piece tranny from 96 or 97? Yikes!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator

I edited my post while you were typing...

Any two piece main case will work as the TCC PWM came into play in 96 and was used throughout.

The full introduction of the two piece main case corresponds with the change to the aluminum oil pan. Before that, if it was used, it was not the norm.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

Yeah my buddy had a 96 and it took him a while to get a used tranny from a salvage yard

Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
matclark is an unknown quantity at this point

so if i have a 4l60e with a torque convertor dust cover, will it interchange with a 4l60e that has the full alum. bell housing? both are out of 96 blazers.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member
matclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i just tried on my 96 blazer 4x4, conclusion is that the 1 piece 4l60e, will NOT interchange with the 2 piece 4l60e, that has the removable bell housing. the transfer case adaptor will not interchange. i have the adaptor that came with the 1 piece trans and the original one for the 2 piece, they are both diferent in bolt pattern, inner diameter, and length. so dont waste your time like i did even trying this, if you have a 2 piece 4l60e, then you MUST find another to replace it

UPDATE !!! the 1 piece, 6 bolt bellhousing, 4l60e WILL fit in a 96-98 blazer,you have to get the transfer case that fits the 1 piece trans and the front drive shaft, other than that it is plug and play !!! i have a 94 and a 96 blazer, the 94 has the 1 piece trans and my 96 has the 2 piece 9 bolt bellhousing trans, i took the trans out of the 94 and put it in the 96, everything lines up, cross member, drive shafts, electrical, the trans cooler lines are different but i swapped the fittings on the side and reshaped the lines,the front drive shaft on the 96 has a spline fit, and the 94 has a yoke on the transfer case, so i had to use the 94 front drive shaft, it is the same length, the problem was that the transfer cases are different !! the bolt pattern between the 2 years was way off,, 1 has 4 internal bolts and the other has 5 external bolts that hold the transfer case adaptor to the trans.
so in short if you swap your 2 piece 4l60e for a 1 piece 4l60e you will need to get the transfer case and the front drive shaft!! i really dont know where all these other guys get off saying it will not fit, when it will (including myself)!! they must be book smart and not hands on, like us low buck country boys !! i have drove 500 miles so far and everything is meshing perfectly !!

Last edited by matclark; 03-08-2009 at 12:27 PM.