Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Where are the fusible links?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member
my97fourXfour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overheating?

Alright, here's the background... I had to replace my water pump. Couldn't get the fan off of the pump in the truck, so I had to take the alternator and the bracket for the alternator off to get to it. First, I disconnected the battery before doing any of this. Then disconnected the alternator took it out, the the bracket out and the water pump came out. Got it all put back together, put a new belt on, then no power whatsoever. the hood light, the door beeping, gauges, lights...nothing.
I had to start it this morning to pull it out of my garage, so is was fine prior to the work. Checked the voltage on the battery, 12v. Checked the voltage at the alternator, same. No clue!
After searching, I found a few things about the fusible links and that's the only thing that makes sense... I know the one to the alternator was good, found that one thanks to one of the posts, ohm'd it out, good. Then I saw a thread about another one going to the starter. Where is that? I know next to nothing about mechanics, but it doesn't make much sense to me that fuses going to the starter would affect the rest of the system. Am I wrong? What else could it be? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Dave

Last edited by my97fourXfour; 10-05-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: erroneous topic
Old 10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The fusible link is in the positive battery cable that runs down to the starter. If you can stretch this cable, the fusible link is blown. Nothing that you have done should have blown it though.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
my97fourXfour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overheating

Alright, so disregard all that crap I posted below. I just had one of the leads on the wrong part of the alt, that's fixed. Apologies, I'm a n00b as far as mechanics. But I'm still overheating.
I've been searching here all morning and have found a few ideas. I've seen that steam comes from the rad to the reservoir, causing it to bubble up, which is happening in this case. I've read that changing the thermostat and the rad cap would probably fix it. What's the ECT do, and where is it? It's not leaking like it was, so I know the water pump is good, but it doesn't seem like the coolant is getting to the engine. It also seems like its kinda burping going from the upper rad hose to the thermostat. Does that mean the thermostat's dead? Is there anything physical on it that would suggest so? Can I just take it out for a bit and run it up to see if it still overheats? Also, how big of a deal is the lower fan shroud. I did take it off for a little while and drove it around, but have since put it back on and it overheated just from me revving it in my garage.
Thanks again, Dave

Last edited by my97fourXfour; 10-05-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: more info