Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

why won't my ignition turn????

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 PM
roaddog14 is on a distinguished road
Default why won't my ignition turn????

I have a 96 blazer 4x4 6 cylinder vortec and all of a sudden my key won't turn the ignition, its locked and it acts like i'm putting the wrong key in. I tried turning really hard but its just locked up and i can't get it to turn. Is there a simple answer?? I checked the fuses and they all look good to me. I'm suppose to leave Monday morning for a road trip. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

make sure your steering wheel isnt locked up. like turn it left and right and try to get some movement out of it while you turned the key. if your pressed up against a curb or anything that will prevent it

Old 05-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Default not on curb.....

Thanks so much for the reply......but my car is sitting flat and the wheel turns its limited distance to the right and left, the steering wheel is not locked up.....i mean its locked but has its limited play. The cylinder won't turn with the key in it. I tried wd-40 and also tapping the ignition cylinder but it will not free up, its locked. Do i need a new ignition cylinder??

Old 06-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Beginning Member
Heffty is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having this problem with my 99 Blazer. The key is pretty worn, and it's my only one. I was wondering if that could be the problem. I have tried turning the steering wheel, moving the shifter up and down. I just have to keep sitting there going back and forth and then finally it will turn but I can't seem to pinpoint the exact angle/push in I'm doing to get it to turn. Sometimes I have to sit there for 10minutes...other times I'll get lucky on the first few tries.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Buellfirebolt14 is on a distinguished road

i was having a similar problem with my 97, but i couldn't turn mine back to the "LOCK" position. I finally just pulled hard enough to get the key out and from then you could crank it without the key. The problem wasn't my key cylinder, but once i finally took apart the column, there was a white cylinder made of plastic with what looked to be some sort of weight that would travel on the inside. There were two wires connected to it and was held on by two screws/ bolts. Come to find out, when i turned the key, the weight would be "sucked/moved" upwards, and when i turned the car completely off, the weight would drop back down, locking the key cylinder in place. That may be your problem... i just took mine off and it runs fine . Nooooo idea what it was for. Hoped that helped.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:49 PM

I had to pull my ignition out and just buy a new one at NAPA. It was pretty simple, though you need a very small allen wrench or coat hanger to poke down the whole above the ignition. This will release the ignition from its hold. If you can turn the ignition part way, lets say to the a/c postion so the lights and stereo works then you can just stick the metal probe in the hole and it will easily release. However, if you can't turn the ignition then you will have to get a drill and or pliers and pry the ignition so it turns even if its the whole unit, it will still line up so you can release the iginition. Good luck

Old 06-25-2011, 02:01 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

I know it's been said, but just to clarify.

If your wheel turns while key isn't in the ignition it can lock your key cyl, try moving the wheel in either direction while turning the key to see if it unlocks it.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 AM
EdC
Beginning Member
EdC is on a distinguished road

I am having a similar problem, except the wheels are straight. I give the steering wheel a slight turn to make sure the ign switch isn't locked and also turn the key over. Since the keys has the same cuts on both sides but the lock is only ne sides it works. Gonna get the tumblers redone in the ign switch while I am out of town for a couple of days. Getting too old to work on cars any more.