Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

oil pressure sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default oil pressure sensor?

does anybody know where the oil pressure sending unit or pressure sensor is located on a 74 blazer with a 350? my pressure gauge is totally disconnected inside the engine bay and its just a pressure tube run to the back of the gauge. i think this means that oil would be squirting out of wherever it should be plugged in right? i need help here cause i have no idea where this thing goes.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

should be on the back left had(drivers) side of the block

Old 10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yup its on the very back. just behind the intake

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM

shouldnt it be squirting out oil though? or does that mean that i have 0 oil pressure? uh oh....

Old 10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Starting Member

some one could have plugged the hole. if you didnt have any oil pressure you would know it. the motor would be knocking like crazy

Old 10-11-2011, 06:58 AM

okay. good. cause the engine is running good. no knocks or anything like that. i do need to change the transmission pan gasket cause it has a very tiny leak but i figure i would just change it anyways since ill have the whole thing out. but thanks for letting me know about the oil pressure thing. ill try to locate it and hook it back up.

is there any was to change it to a electrical sensor? so i dont have to worry about kinks in the line?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Starting Member

could probably find some kind of kit, but i have always reverted back to the mechanical style. never had a problem with the line kinking

Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 AM

soo the only kind of pressure sensors i could find are ones that have a wire going to an alarm or a light of some sort. im looking for something that hooks right up into the tube. the mechanical style as you mentioned. do you know anywhere i could find something like that? im only coming across those little sensors that thread into the outlet and have a wire connection for the light. ugh.... its a killer to find any kind of stuff for an engine this old.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:29 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Hey wet ear... it has nothing to do with the age of the engine, this is aftermarket stuff. What's amazing is how much things havent changed.
For this job, what you dont find at Autozone, you go to a hardware store brass fitting aisle.

look here:
mechanical oil pressure gauge questions - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

LOL!!!!! Forty five freaking years after I did it and the same arguments!!!!
'Real men have mechanical gauges"
"Copper vs plastic.."

Got news.. copper vibrates and cracks just like plastic. Both need plenty slack.

There ARE two grades of plastic for lines.. I can tell them apart but cant explain how.
'flimsy' and surface cracks if bent hard vs tough and stiffly flexible is best I can do.
__________________________________________________ ________

For me... Who was around and aware that Chevy was coming out with their OWN V-8..
I'll take 'Lectric.. thank you very much. Only thing worse than pumping hot oil into a cab is pumping fuel into a cab.

...and that's just one small step away for some.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-12-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

so what your saying is just go buy some small plastic tubing and throw it in that gap that i have?

Quick Reply: oil pressure sensor?