Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1986 K5 Blazer Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Beginning Member
86K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road
Default 1986 K5 Blazer Tailgate

I replaced the motor today because I was sure that was my problem. The glass is stuck UP and it doesn't want to go down. Makes a clicking noise, the cable moves. I greased EVERYTHING. not sure what to do now, I know that I'm probably going to end up taking the glass out with a 12 mil or whatever fits and then just dropping the gate and taking it all apart. Is there anything I should check before I just take everything apart? Thanks.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If all you get is clicking, then either the power/ground to the motor, the cable isn't properly engaging at either end, or the drive on the regulator is stripping past.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Beginning Member
summit high is on a distinguished road

possibly could be a seized trans ! too ( the aluminum box the cable goes to )
maybe thats not whaat they call it ??
mine has also got caught on the inside of the tailgate (some brace ) that i have had to bend back out . there is not much clearance
between the glass and the inside of the gate !

Last edited by summit high; 08-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Beginning Member
wornknobby3 is on a distinguished road

what i did with mine was have some one "help" it go down while you use the button, we didnt force it but it helped alittle and then i had to just keep greasing and trying it more and more eventually it started to work on its own luckily enough

Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Beginning Member
86K5BLAZER is on a distinguished road
Default Tailgate problems continued into the winter months. its kinda cold driving this rig..

okay guys. It's been a while and I've gone through several motors. the one I have right now goes up but NOT down it works fine an spins freely, although I did find that a part was broken. inside the "aluminum box" that the end of the cable goes to there were chunks of metal and the worm gear had too much play. where can I find a new one of those??? I can't find them anywhere. I frequently use LMC and classic truck parts. know of anywhere I can get one?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That part is called the regulator transmission. I thought I had a source for it at one point in time, but I cannot find it... It does come with a new regulator.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
wornknobby3 is on a distinguished road

what happened to mine was the tailgate is not perfectly lined up with the cap, so once the window was all the way up it was pinched and wouldnt go down on its own, once i got it about the half inch down it would go up and down freely no problems, but once it was stuck all the way up, it seemed as if it were dead, pushing down wouldnt let the motor make any noise or attempt. it was just something simple that i thought was something more serious.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Beginning Member
maepis is on a distinguished road

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread but I have a similar issue with my 85 with the exception being that I have disconnected the cable that turns the motor and put a drill on it and the window rolls up and down just fine. When I hit the button the cable doesn't do anything even when it's disconnected. Shouldn't it try to spin or is there something else I'm missing that is keeping power from getting through?

Old 01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Have you checked for power at the motor? If you aren't getting power to the motor, it won't do anything. If it isn't getting power, the most likely fault is with the safety switch which disrupts power to the motor when the tailgate is down.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Beginning Member
maepis is on a distinguished road

I realized that the prior owner unplugged the power cables to the window. When I press the button the window tries to go up and down but it makes a droning sound and runs really slow. I assume that it's just because of the typical motor failure of these trucks. Both of my door motors are also bad and don't move. After some reading, the thing I am confused on is what part is the actual problem and needs to be replaced. The silver box that the cable attaches to that I have seen referred to as the transmission, or the actual motor that I can only assume is hidden behind the glass somewhere.

Quick Reply: 1986 K5 Blazer Tailgate