Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

1990 K5 rear window problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Starting Member
THePaRaSiTE5771 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
No. You have to turn the cable. Try it. See if the arms move when you turn the cable.
OK, I will try that now, thanks for al your help.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Starting Member

So, I turned the cable like you said to do and sure enough, the arms move now. Question, is why is the motor still just revving and not moving the window?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How does the end of the cable look where it goes into the motor? If it is chewed up, the cable needs to be replaced. You remove it from the regulator transmission by squeezing the solid portions of the bell on the end of the cable together and then pull it off.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Starting Member

How does the end of the cable look where it goes into the motor? If it is chewed up, the cable needs to be replaced. You remove it from the regulator transmission by squeezing the solid portions of the bell on the end of the cable together and then pull it off.
The cable doesn't look too bad actually. The end of the cable that goes into the window motor is very loose and has no clamp or anything holding it, could this be why?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the outer portion of the cable (the jacket) threads onto the motor.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
1SLOW64 is on a distinguished road

I think for preventive maintenance I need to get in there and do some lubing.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Starting Member

Where can I get a new cable? I will put up pictures of the cable up later today, I'd like you to tell me if you think I need a new one.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by THePaRaSiTE5771
Where can I get a new cable?
Any autoparts store, LMCTruck.com, eBay, etc.
Originally Posted by THePaRaSiTE5771
I will put up pictures of the cable up later today, I'd like you to tell me if you think I need a new one.
Take good pictures of the end and we'll let you know if its still good or not. If it still looks like a single cable formed into a triangular shank on the end and you were able to turn this end and move the regulator, it likely is still good.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Starting Member

I have some pictures of the cable that goes into the window motor, the side that goes in where the gears are will not come out that easy.

*EDIT* the picture wouldn't show up when I added them as images in the post and they are too big to upload, so I will post the links instead:
http://img689.imageshack.us/i/20100507154453.jpg/
http://img404.imageshack.us/i/20100507154438.jpg/
http://img294.imageshack.us/i/20100507154458.jpg/

If it still looks like a single cable formed into a triangular shank on the end and you were able to turn this end and move the regulator, it likely is still good.
The thing is, if the drive cable is good, then what's the problem?

Attached Thumbnails 1990 K5 rear window problems-2010-05-07-15.44.38.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-07-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Where's the nut on the end of the cable? You can see what I am talking about in the second picture I posted above. That white end on the cable is supposed to be part of the cable. If that has come apart and remains on the motor, it could allow the cable to wrap around itself and not properly drive the regulator.

Quick Reply: 1990 K5 rear window problems