Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

79 k5 need help all over

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 AM
DJblazer is on a distinguished road
Default 79 k5 need help all over

Well first off I heard the people on here are awesome and very helpful.

Ok I bought a 1979 k5 for 300 bucks 400 small block has a 700r4 tranny in it (not wired in nothing 2 bolts on it holding it) I already did research on wiring it in but what transfer case to go with? has a adapter plate but I dont know if a 205 tcase will fit. Would it be easier to swap in a t350 or try to find a t case for the 700r4?

Next is wiring (OMG lol) has 2 grounds and 1 wire for the starter. When I turn the key nothing. I figured as much but I have read over schematics and I'm sorry I just don't get them can anyone elaborate with pics on where wires go. I can tear that engine down and put together in hours but wiring is not my strong point.

I should started and said has no tcase installed in the back also no drive lines. the ignition is broken off I have a new steering column for it has 6inch rancho lift. Has a little bit of cancer I live on the coast of Oregon so I wouldn't blame it. The carb is a 600 cfm eldbrock. I would like to get it started before i worry about the tranny though. So if anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks DJ

Old 03-21-2013, 11:11 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Where on the Oregon coast are you?

I'll guess that you know that the 700r4 did not come stock in a K5 until 1982 as an option.
The typical t-case you'll find behind a 700 is either a NP208 or a NP241. Both are very similar. The 208's should be easier to find as they were offered for a longer period of time and the 241's were only available in 1989 with a mechanical speedometer output, after that they were electronic.

You can get an adapter to mount a NP205 to a 700R4 but you're going to be spending a good amount of money doing it.

On the wiring it might be easier for YOU to post pictures so we can see what you're talking about. The starter should not have any ground wires, it is grounded via the engine block... there is one wire directly to the starter from the battery and then there is one wire from the ignition to the solenoid. GM used the starter + post as a junction block so you'll probably also have wired going to the alternator and to the fuse block on the firewall just above and behind the brake booster.

My guess why it doesn't start since somebody has monkey'd with the transmission is the neutral safety switch has been disabled, this will stop the ignition switch from sending a +12v signal to the solenoid because it things the transmission is in gear.

When was the last time it was run?