Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Ball joints and Trans / lighting questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road
Default Ball joints and Trans / lighting questions

Hi,

Just bought a nice blue 1987 k5 to add to my collection and have a couple of questions

1) I need to replace the lower left balljoint. Do i need to take off the disc breake and all around it to be able to replace it or will i manage without removing the breakes?

2) Proper way to use the [D] and D in the th700 transmission? Whats the difference with driving in [D] (overdrive) all the time and not use normal D without overdrive ?

3) Replacing of dash lightbulbs.. in my 75 k5 there is next to nothing under the dash so i can reach up with my arm and just replace them easily without removing anything... Now, theres a lot of wires and stuff where my arm used to go... Whats the best way to do this now? Remove the whole cluster?

Thanks!

Jonas

Old 09-19-2013, 04:07 PM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jonas
1) I need to replace the lower left balljoint. Do i need to take off the disc breake and all around it to be able to replace it or will i manage without removing the breakes?
Yes. Here is a very good break down of what you have to do to replace the ball joints. It is a rather involved repair.
Ball Joint Replacement 101 - lots of pics - International Full Size Jeep Association

2) Proper way to use the [D] and D in the th700 transmission? Whats the difference with driving in [D] (overdrive) all the time and not use normal D without overdrive ?
There really isn't a proper way to use D and [D]. The only difference is the transmission is not allowed to shift into 4th gear when in D. Using overdrive will not hurt your transmission under 99% of your driving. If you need to drive up long inclines where the transmission is hunting back and forth between 3rd and 4th you should probably drop it into D. The other instance would be if you are towing a heavy load.

3) Replacing of dash lightbulbs.. in my 75 k5 there is next to nothing under the dash so i can reach up with my arm and just replace them easily without removing anything... Now, theres a lot of wires and stuff where my arm used to go... Whats the best way to do this now? Remove the whole cluster?
I've always removed the whole cluster. While it is out you can remove the gauges and spray the inside of the cluster with white or silver paint to help the light reflect a little better.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 70-K5
Yes. Here is a very good break down of what you have to do to replace the ball joints. It is a rather involved repair.
Ball Joint Replacement 101 - lots of pics - International Full Size Jeep Association

pretty good write up. the funny thing is every k5 ive ever owned has been a rusted rotted turd and they dont ever explain how much of a impossible **** it may be to get some of that stuff off. especially that spindle. theres been some where a air hammer, chisel and hammer wouldnt budge and just had to smash it and replace as it was so rotted to the studs.

also another issue i ran into a lot was that inner bearing nut, ive had a few where that nipple was busted off and had to be replaced, i think due to previous owners impacting the second one onto it.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for your replies guys Great help.

Tried to get the dash out today.. couldnt. on my 75 its more or less just to unbolt and wiggle out the whole thing... But with this 87 dash its impossible.. its just not possible to slide out. Do i have to take every part of it apart ? The clear glass, gagues and so on before i can get to the frame holding the bulbs?

Tried searching youtube for a good video but couldnt find it
Thanks!

BR Jonas

Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 PM

There is a secret angle to get the cluster out... I've broken more ears off the clusters than I can count! You actually need to flex the steel shell of the dash a little.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 70-K5
There is a secret angle to get the cluster out... I've broken more ears off the clusters than I can count! You actually need to flex the steel shell of the dash a little.
OK... i see.... Down to the left right ? the little peice that goes up looking like this:

Attached Thumbnails Ball joints and Trans / lighting questions-img_0530.jpg  

Last edited by Jonas; 09-21-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM

Take the clip off the shift indicator too. Follow the wire to the steering column and pry the clip off.

When removing the IP I typically take the dash pad off first, then you take the instrument panel off by itself.