Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Damage transfer case/trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Starting Member
New2K5 is on a distinguished road
Default Damage transfer case/trans?

Just got my '77 K5 and I'm new to 4x4, it has a stock NP203 (I think) case in it.

While learning to drive the 4x4 I made a few mistakes that have me worried.

Not knowing at the time I assumed this was like the other Blazer's I've seen so I put the 4x4 stick in Neutral and the column stick in drive to Neutral...Nothing happened except even when applying gas except rolling backwards so OK I put the truck column in Park and heard a really loud grinding noise that sounded like nails on a chalk board and chains being pulled/beat/stretched/you get the idea.

The automatic transmission (column) was now stuck in between Park and Reserve and when I tried to move it a bit further to park the noise and grinding became worse. I managed to get it into park I forget how but after that the noise stopped. Never heard anything that loud come from a car in my life, scared the hell out of me. I also shifted the 4x4 stick without stopping at each position or going into Neutral.

This happened a few times before someone jumped in and showed me the proper way to operate the K5 and NP203 case/4x4. Another thing I'm curious about is why the 4x4 stick was vibrating like hell???

I'm a newbie to 4x4 vehicles so excuse the lack of knowledge! My concerns are:

-Did I damage the Transfer case?
-Did I damage the Automatic Transmission?
-Did I possibly damage anything else?
-What should I check for to see if I damaged anything?
-Should I have a mechanic to drop the case and take it apart/check it? And what should I tell him to check for???

I'm worried I ruined a real nice vintage K5 from a few newbie mistakes, any help would be appreciated before I visit the mechanic on Friday!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the transfer case in neutral, there was nothing to stop the transmission from spinning. As a result, when you pulled it from reverse to park, the park dog in the transmission was trying to stop it from spinning. You may have damaged the park dog, buy if it is still holding, I would think that it is fine. Next time, shut the truck off before putting the transmission info park.