Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > Full Size K5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Starting Member

Bigguns72 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you adjust the idle on a throttle body?

Have a 1989 K5 Blazer and the idle is a little high. At icy instersections, when stopped, the rear wheels want to push me through. How does one adjust the idle on these throttle bodied units?
Old 10-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

It is controlled by the ECU. I would check to make sure that you do not have any broken/cracked/disconnected vacuum lines and that there isn't a gasket leak between the throttle body and the intake manifold (somewhat common problem).
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Beginning Member

6.2 man is on a distinguished road

Sounds like rear brakes aren't working ?????
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
2001 GMC Jimmy
My Garage

69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2 man View Post
Sounds like rear brakes aren't working ?????
agreed, mine did the same untill i redid my rear brakes...

I actually had to put it in neutral to stop, or 4wd(kept hubs locked in the snow).

Last edited by 69chevelle; 10-28-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:11 AM

xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a way to adjust it I will have to search for it and maybe link to another forum if it's ok.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 AM

People will argue and say this won't work or you can't do that only the ecm adjusts idle speed, but trust me it does work I have done it to more than 1 tbi and it won't screw anything up. I have done it on my stock 4.3 tbi I have done it on my 5.7 jimmy /holley 670 tbi and lots of others,if you need it I have a pic of where the idle screw is hidden on the tbi's
http://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbi idle screw.jpg (42.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg tbi idle cap.jpg (41.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by xmradioguy; 10-29-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:54 AM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can change base idle on just about any older setup. However, that is kind of just a bandaid. You haven't really solved the problem...
Old 10-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Well it adjusts the idle speed without the ECM correcting it so yes technically it does solve the problem but like I said some people always argue even if they have never done the procedure.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

Assuming there are NO other reasons for the high idle, you would be correct. However, if there is a vacuum leak, adjusting the base idle will not fix the leak.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:52 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
96, adjust, adjusting, blazer, body, chevy, full, gmc, idle, jimmy, k5, size, speed, tahoe, tbi, throttle