Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

YAYY..first problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YAYY..first problem...

Ughhh ok so here is the scene...Its 1030 at night after a long day of work..I am driving down my street and i have a lil hill so i put the truck in neutral(manual Trans) an brake...now all is good until I go to make the turn. The steering wheel was real hard to trun..I figured id give it a lil gas..well somehow the motor shut off so i am like ok ill stop n start it back up so I could park..well it cranks over and acts like it wants to start but it wont...It also knida smells like unburnt fuell after I got out the truck.....So can anyone please help me with my situation..Thanks

Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: YAYY..first problem...

Sounds like it's flooded. Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it to clear the flood. If it doesnt start, shut it off leaveit for a minute and try again without the gas.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:13 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

do u hear your fuel pump priming up when you turn the key?

Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevyguy032

It also knida smells like unburnt fuell after I got out the truck.....
you need 3 things... fuel, spark, and compression. you smell fuel so the next easiest thing to do would be to check and see if you have a spark.

pull a spark plug out, hook the wire to it. put the body or base of the plug against a good ground (the engine block, inner fender, etc) and have someone turn the key for you. if theres a spark then i'd look back toward the fuel issue.

if no spark then it could be the ignition coil, the pickup in the distributor, or the computer... just have to trace the ignition system backwards until you find the bad piece...

Old 11-30-2006, 06:10 PM

Ok I jumped in the truck started and it and it started after a while of cranking..but ran ****y so i know its out of timing a lil..but when I started it a puff of black n blue smoke came out..What does that mean??And the spark is good..but now for some reason I am not getting no fuel to the injectors..I also dont hear the fuel pump kick on...but i hope it is kicking on but just to quiet for me to hear...and when i go to put my air intake assembly on i have to do it REAL slowly n mke aure it is all in the right place cause for some reason it will stall out if i put it in the arong spot....but i jusat bought a new fuel fuilter so ima throw that in and ill let you guys now what happens...but please anyone any input..real confused about this...

Old 11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

sounds like you got some bad gas..... this would cause the rough running and the puff of smoke..... run a tank of premium through it with some fuel system treatment and see if this fixes the problem..... may need a tune up too....

Old 12-01-2006, 12:39 AM

Yea i dumped four gallons of fuel in there....i replaced the inline fuel filter and still no fuel is getting to the motor..but i am being told that there is another fuel filter under the hood by the fire wall or in that area..does anyone kno if this is true or not..and if so the exact location??thanks

Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You only have one fuel filter as far as I know.

Old 12-02-2006, 01:28 AM

yea hopefuly ill see what the fuel pressure...ill let you huys kno tomorrow

Old 12-02-2006, 02:56 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevyguy032

Yea i dumped four gallons of fuel in there....i replaced the inline fuel filter and still no fuel is getting to the motor..but i am being told that there is another fuel filter under the hood by the fire wall or in that area..does anyone kno if this is true or not..and if so the exact location??thanks
On older K series blazers with a mechanical pump there would be a filter inline to the carb but you have TBI with an electrical pump. So if there is another fuel filter then somebody added it.

You should see if you can hear the fuel pump priming the fuel system if not then you can look into that as a possible problem just make sure all the connectors are being supplied the proper operating voltages...

Quick Reply: YAYY..first problem...