Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

How to identify a Dana 60

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:59 PM
LeigerReign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to identify a Dana 60

Okay so my 88 Blazer is really a great off-road ride. Im planning on beefing up the drive train and getting a 14 Bolt for the rear and a Dana 60 for the front, and while Im there do a gear change for the bigger tires. Im also a 16 year old kid whos favorite store is the local junk yard. So needless to say, i need to find a Dana 60 and identify it. If anyone has any knowledge to share, thatd be great. Im also planning on installing lockers in the front and rear. If you have advice for me, thatd be great. I was also wondering if they made the original full-size Blazer with a stock Dana 60 and 14 Bolt? If so, a complete change of vehicle might be a bit easier...before I start major modifications.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How to identify a Dana 60

Quick Google search resulted in this:
http://www.akfabshop.com/alaskaoffroad/axle_tech.htm

There are many, MANY more than just this one, but this had quite a bit of information in it. Click on the link below for the Google search for "How to identify a Dana 60?"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ has alot of other information you may be interested in as well.

Good luck and make sure to post back with pics of the progress and completed project!

Old 04-16-2006, 10:13 PM
Nomad76lj is an unknown quantity at this point

i can tell u that unless its for offroad only u dont want a true locker in the front. its very hard on drive line parts. if u can find one the old militry trucks (77 78 ) had 1 1/4 ton drive train so maby a swap to that would be strong enuf? wouth trying anyway

Old 04-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was going to add that to my post, but you beat me to it, LOL.

I would definitely put something that can be disengaged, like either an air locker or e-locker, for the severe off-road situations when max traction is needed, but able to be unlocked for normal road driving.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks a lot, those sites were very helpful. I planned on going with an ARB Air Locker, my dad said a Detroit Locker would be good but I told him id rather go with an ARB. The truck still needs body work and paint but ill post pics soon enough. Hopfully ill get it out on the trails soon and take some there.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.onandoffroad4wheeldrive.com/axle_pics.htm

http://www.coloradok5.com/tech.shtml

If your running a fullsize Blazer, the second link is for you. It is all about the K5. The first link is pics and general info on the various axles out there.

If your serious about the swap and have a S10-Blazer. Check out the below site. Take a look at the tech section. They have several write ups on swapping a solid axle under a S10.
http://www.s10extremist.org/forums/

Pirate4x4 is for extreme rock crawling. Granted they have a lot of tech info. However they don't really care about body damage, or streetability. It is a hard core rock crawling site. If you ever get to see some of the off-road rock crawling competitions, the drivers/owners belong to that site. A lot of guys that do the other 4x4 truck competitions also belong to that site, like Petersons Ultimate Adventure, the Tough Truck Competition, Top Shop, etc.

We want pics and progress updates.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:55 PM

Thanks for such an overwhelming reply, i do have a full size blazer, not an S-10. Is it a k-5 or a v-10. Auto Zone insists its called a V-10 (350 5.7l V-8) but I mostly hear that I have a k-5. Are these different? So I have a solid axle, so I dont need to do a conversion like if it was the S-10. I was also wondering, could I put a "full time" locker in the front axle? Like a detriot locker perhaps. This would save me some cash. When its on the street its never in 4WD and if it is, its snowy conditions. If I dont lock the hubs, i wouldnt imagine this being a problem. If I have to install an air locker, then thats fine, but thats just more time it would take to save the cash. I plan on doing a LOT of rock crawling and trail riding in this truck so Pirate 4x4 is pretty helpful. Hopfully during college ill be able to build my own rock crawler and enter into comps. Im going to make a tripod site now and put my photos on there. Ill post the link back very shortly after this.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 PM

okay well i got 7 old pics for you all. Ill go out and take some new ones as soon as my battery is charged. You can find them at http://rhs24.tripod.com/88_blazer/index.album These pics are old, from about last august. Since then ive done a little bit of work....well as much as i could afford. I start work this week and Ill be working 2, possibly 3 jobs, this summer. So after summers over I will have plenty of cash to fix it up a bit.

Here a list of things Ive done to it though:

Completely Fixed Dash
Mounted and Wired Tachometer
Passanger Side Fender and Inner Fender-Well replaced
"New" Tires, $75 for 4 35inch X-Terrains to pass inspection
Fixed E-Brake
Taken off 3 inch body lift, installed 1 inch bushings for a slight raise
New Bilstein 5100 Shocks (rides MUCH better)
Pulled a "new" steering box from junkyard, yet to be installed
Bought a new steering stabilizer today, boot kit comes tomorrow then I can put it on.

After I get some cash I can get the ugly brown paint off and im planning on painting it green. A friends doing the job cheap so I dont have to feel bad after a day on the trails. Ill learn to fabricate a lot, as the cash isnt really there to do much with it. Ive got my own Mig Welder and my dads fairly handy so making a rear bumper/roof rack/roll cage shouldnt be too hard.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan, and the truck looks great. I noticed the 3" body lift, and its removal, and the dash is a huge improvement. Nice job so far.

When you do the steering box, reinforce the frame where the box attaches to it. This is a common area of frame failure. There are kits avialable to fix it, however if you or your dad can weld? Weld on some steel to strenghten the frame. Check out the kits and mock them for your fix.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Looks like your going to have a decent wheeler when your done with it.

I missed the year of your truck? Is it fuel injected?
Since yours is already solid axle, you will need to find a Dana60 from a Chevy donor, most liekly donor will be a 1ton. Do research into cross over sterring, and then do the cross over steering. Those sites will have all the info you need, and more then likely in a tech article, what your doing is pretty common. That Dana60 isn't going to be cheap!!!!

Yes you can install a locker in the front axle and unlock the hubs. It will cuase the front axle to turn, however the unlocked hubs will allow the tires to spin free of the axle and won't/shouldn't scuff around turns. You might burn a tad more gas, but if your engine isn't fuel injected you will never notice it. Your gas mileage already sucks, and that locker won't make that much of a difference. The best option is the ARB locker, however it adds some cost to that already expensive axle. Depending on tire size, I would also seriously look into upgrading your outer axle stub shafts. Also should find a tech article or two on that upgrade. Pirate has an awesome tech section.

They even have tech info on your cage and what materials to use. I am not going to get into the whole tube verse pipe issue. Realize that whatever you use, make it strong enough for a step above how you normally wheel. That adds a margin of safety, and safety is one area you shouldn't skimp. Your life and that of your passengers may depend on it. Which material you use is entirely up to you. I would avoid pvc pipe though. I also see nothing wrong with a cage made from pipe, provided it is built properly.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:38 PM

Wow that was a lot. Thanks. What exactly are the benefits of cross over steering? Ive checked the steering box kits out and I can easily machine that. My dad knows how to weld and Im learning so that wouldnt be too hard at all.

My truck is an 88' and it is fuel injected, I have a throttle body.

The Dana 60 and 14 Bolt upgrade is gonna cost me quite a bit. It prolly wont happen until next summer when the cash is there. I plan on spending around 2k for the whole deal, new wheels, the axles, lockers, etc. It will probably end up costing nearly 2.5k but ill end up breaking the 10 bolts on there anyways.

Im still confused about the front axle issue. If the truck normally drives in 2WD mode then my gas mileage would be no different if the front had a locker or not, or do I not know somthing? Either way Ive decided to go with an ARB Air Locker so I can disengage it in tactical spots where I need manueverability to clear objects.

Im looking through junk yards hoping to find an "off-roader" that has a roll bar/cage in it. I really cant afford to make one right now with the costs of steel. If I find a roll bar/cage in a truck ill make sure its free from rust and then post an image to see if its solid. The last thing I want is to roll my truck and then have a cage failure.

So I ramble a bit and I wanted to sum up some of my questions..
What are the benefits of cross over steering?
If 4WD isnt engaged, locking the front axle without locking the hubs shouldnt cause a drop in MPG should it?

I installed a new steering stabilizer the other day, the truck doesnt wander as much but there is still a noticeable problem in the steering. I can turn the sterring wheel a good 2-3 inches before I get any tire movement at all. This isnt normal on older trucks like this is it??

Well thanks for the overwhelming response from everyone. The sites you've provided have been a plethora of information and its really helped me a lot.

Quick Reply: How to identify a Dana 60