Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Skid plate and gas tank removal????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Beginning Member
blbikerood is on a distinguished road
Default Skid plate and gas tank removal????

Hello again gang. I've determined I need to replace the fuel pump. Here is what I see as a problem. The truck has a reese hitch. The mounts seem to be in the way of the back two skid plate bolts if there are any. Couldn't get the reese hitch back two bolts off they are just spinning. It is my opinion that the bumper is going to have to come off , then get the hitch off, then the skid plate then begin on the removal of the tank.

Am I making myself work to hard?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first K5 and I am super excited. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right.

Once you get the bumper off, you'll have access to the nuts on the inside of the frame for the hitch and then you will be able to get the skid plate and tank down.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i remember having the same problem but didnt have to move the hitch. i think the problem i had was i was able to get the skid plate bolts off but the skid plate wouldnt come out due to it hitting ht hitch. i just remember bending the tabs

Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
Default how hard is the bumper to get off and on?

In the past I always paid for this kind of stuff to be done, but funds are low these days. Anyone know the socket size i'll need and if I can do it with a ratchet or will i need impact tools? thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member
Default Some good news.

I came in and called it a night. But made good progress. The bolts were simple to get to once I used my head. For lack of a better term, the bumper "protector plate" that goes between it and the tailgate to fill in the gap had 3 or 4 bolts.

I removed it and had access to all the bolts I needed. The Reese Hitch DID NOT have to be removed. I removed the six skid plate bolts and after alot of wigglin and cussin, i removed it.

I then took off the top two gas tank strap nuts and found myself without a deepwell socket to remove the bottom nut.

Are there just two gas tank strap bolts or are there some toward the cab of the truck?

I hope that once I get off work tommorow that I can drop the tank and get that new fuel pump in. I'm going to post another topic and see what fuel pump people recommend. The one the guy had bought for it he mail ordered and it is some wierd brand i've never heard of. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran

Pretty sure there is just the two in the back. The front has the hook. Hate to bring this up but you can always cut a access hole into your floor to get at the pump if your blazer is on the beater side instead of going through this mess

Old 01-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should mention that. My K5 has such a hole:

I would never do something like this on my vehicles, but since it was already there when I bought the truck, I plan on keeping the hole. I will be making it into an access panel with recessed bolts and a seal around the edge. The panel will be flush mounted to the floor when I am done with it. Right now it has part of a road sign over it (again, a bonus from the previous owner).

Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Funny you should mention that. My K5 has such a hole:

I would never do something like this on my vehicles, but since it was already there when I bought the truck, I plan on keeping the hole. I will be making it into an access panel with recessed bolts and a seal around the edge. The panel will be flush mounted to the floor when I am done with it. Right now it has part of a road sign over it (again, a bonus from the previous owner).

lol. yep thats how i got my first gas tank access hole. the guy had a fuel injection intake on it and thats how he changed the fuel pump... actually came in handy cause a year down the road the sending unit took a crap.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Beginning Member
Default Got her fired up and took her on her maiden voyage!

Fuel pump fixed my problem right up! Truck needs some basic stuff, tune up, shocks, but it will need a power steering pump right now! It whines like crazy just idling. Once i get that on, i'm going for the shocks and front carpet.