General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1st post. 03 Blazer. Plow and Tbar question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Jdizzie is on a distinguished road
Default 1st post. 03 Blazer. Plow and Tbar question

Hey all.
I was plowing with a 98 blazer and a fisher homesteader 7'4' plow.
Well, at 178k I blew the motor and have decided to get a new truck and keep my old blazer as a parts hog.
I always noticed that I could get more range from the plow after I did a full turn on the torsion bars for the front of the truck.
i looked at the rough country 2.5" lift kit andit doesnt seem worth the money.
My new blazer is an 03.
Whats the best way to get lift?
Tbar crank?
RC kit?
other lift kit?
Thanks for the replies.
Regards, -J

Old 11-01-2015, 08:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Torsion bars are adjustable to keep front chassis ride height within spec. Ride height is adjusted just before a wheel alignment. Even the slightest change in chassis ride height will substantially affect wheel alignment. When front chassis ride height is out of spec, you can expect excessive wear on most of the suspension parts, and some of the steering linkage parts. Installing a suspension lift will increase ride height, most likely out of spec. Adjusting the ride height back into spec defeats the purpose of the lift. Installing a plow will cause ride height to decrease, probably out of spec. It can be brought back within spec by adjusting the torsion bars, and then performing a wheel alignment. The ride height adjustment and wheel alignment should be performed with the vehicle loaded as close as possible to the way it will be driven. If you really want it to be accurate, sit in the drivers seat while the adjustments are made.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM

This will be my 4th blazer, and honestly, none have really been able to hold an alignment. The trucks always seem to pull to the right for me. I think I'm just going to turn up the torsion bars again. The homesteader plow is pretty light weight compared to most. I'd just like to get some extra lift for the least amount of money. $500+ for RC 2.5" lift kit and steering adjustment link doesn't seem worth it. I'm sticking with the stock tires and rims.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Also, I don't really understand what the ride height has to do with a wheel alignment.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jdizzie
Also, I don't really understand what the ride height has to do with a wheel alignment.
It was pretty well explained by Chuck.

That man does know his stuff, VERY well.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Better question is : where can I find the spec?