General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2000 jimmy cooling system opinion/knowledge/help? Please!

Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 AM
b00ndocks is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 jimmy cooling system opinion/knowledge/help? Please!

Hey.

I have 2000 GMC Jimmy SLE 4x4
It has 140k miles on her and I've had her about 2 years.

I am really getting into fixing her up and taking care of her.

It has bad nasty coolant and radiator is full of it. Reservoir is looking dry but it has rustic brown color stuck to the reservoir and all around. Can see little particles when taking off the radiator cap. Cap looks a little rough/rusty underneath as well. Coolant just looks rusty and nasty.

I need some knowledge and insight on this.
I know I need a new cap so what do you guys recommend? Just any cheap 3-4$ one for the model off of rock auto or a nice 20-30$ one? I don't know the difference really.

Also I bought 3 gallons of Prestone dexcool 50/50. 2 little 22oz Prestone coolant flushes.6 gallons of distilled water.
I was going to do a flush and get this thing cleaned out before winter (getting below 30° around here in Indiana) but my questions are is that a good idea. To add the flush to reservoir, ride a few hundred miles. Flush it out really really good (reservoir and the radiator of course) and then get some brand new in there with a new cap.

I also seen the little kit you can add to the hose to hook your water hose to it. Are those worth it or should I just do it the regular way (which I was going to just do it the regular way) tips or info on that is greatly appreciated as well.

I am hoping If I do this I wont have some problems with heater core/etc...

I thought I would post and try and get some help before I start but like I said I am wanting to do this very soon within like 2 days.. thanks again guys.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

The rust color is because someone before you mixed regular coolant with the dexcool. They do not like eachother and that is what happens.
There is a good chance you will need to get a new radiator and heater core (new radiator for sure because all of that nasty gunk settles in the bottom and is nearly impossible to flush out.

Old 11-14-2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
The rust color is because someone before you mixed regular coolant with the dexcool. They do not like eachother and that is what happens.
There is a good chance you will need to get a new radiator and heater core (new radiator for sure because all of that nasty gunk settles in the bottom and is nearly impossible to flush out.
That's lovely..

Old 11-14-2016, 08:18 PM

It's pretty nasty.
I've done bought the water the antifreeze and the flush.

I'm gonna add the flush around Friday and do it on Sunday.
I am going to do a heater core back flush.
May go and get the tee that goes into the hose for the garden hose. I'm going to flush rad and the reservoir and like I said back flush the heater core and go back in with clean dex cool