General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Laptop to vehicle(blazer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member
spiderx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptop to vehicle(blazer)

Hi, I have a 2001 2dr blazer. Always owned one. Love them.
But I see things have changed on it compared to my '87 model.
What I want to do, and have been searching the net for information, is hook my laptop up to the obd ll system(or pcm/ecm??) on the truck to detect & clear trouble codes and such.
I found this site http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html for starters.

But I needed to know if my connector is 16 pin and if its located off to the left of the steering column? Almost near where the emergency brake pedal would be?

I also wanted to know if the BR3 would work with my '01 blazer system? I downloaded the software but I needed to know if the hardware on obd diag website order page (br3 complete unit $88.00) would work for my truck?
Or if there is a cheaper unit out there or way to do this(laptop to vehicle hookup)?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Laptop to vehicle(blazer)

Im pretty sure only a ODB II scanner can read the codes

I would save yourself the trouble, take it to Advanced Auto and have it read for FREE! They will scan your Check Engine light for free, and you can just ask them to clear the codes if you want them to.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:05 PM
MaSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

I never thought of Advanced auto. My check engine light came on a few weeks back for about a day or two, then my mpg droped about 2 mpg. I was going to have it checked out when I have my upper and lower balljoints replaced later this month. BUt I may just drop by the local Avanced Auto and have them check it out.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member

Ah advanced auto. I have one right up the road from me. Ill have to give them a call. Thanks.
But on the same question noone has heard of hooking the laptop up to the vehicle?
I really wanted to find out more about this especially for furture problems
I know harbor freight has a $40 code reader but I heard of laptops hooking to vehicles and wanted to try it out.
If all else fails I guess Ill just call the company & ask em and what the return policy is. Hopefully there is one, but its electronics.[&:]

Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

you would need the special connecter to hook up to the blazer and then have the other end maybe USB? IDK where you could find a cable like that. then once it is connected, you would need special software to connect to the computer. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Looks like this

Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do it all the time. I have an AutoEnginuity scan tool (AutoEnginuity.com) that has full bi-directional controls. Works great!

One thing with those cheap OBD2 to computer adapters and associated software is that they only do the generic OBD2 stuff. If that is all that you are interested in, then they will work good. If you want more, then you have to pay more.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member

If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.
Its not hard at all. I have found the software and there are tons out there. Its just finding the correct plug as you have shown & yes its USB or serial port from the laptop to obd2.
I have found the right sight as well. The company said the br3 is exactly what I need for the obd2 connection.
have an AutoEnginuity scan tool
I tired that as well. Did you have any problems after you loaded the software in? I was hijacked in my IE browser though when I installed the newest version. It kept going to a IEAntivirus website that was fake with fake scans telling me I had 133 virus'. Got spybot and had it removed.
Can I ask you where you got your obd2 connector? Or did you just order it straight from autoenginuity?
From what Ive been seeing is there are 2 types of connections, cables and just a 3 inch connector that is in the middle of two cables from the laptop to the input on under the dash.
I.E.Connector type plug that you just plug the usb or serial cable from the laptop to the connector and then run the obd2 cable out of the connector type plug to the input of the vehicle. So basically laptop output cable to obd2 connector, cable out of obd2 connector to vehicle input connector.
Autoenginuity has the connector type plug but I think you can only buy it from them.
I didnt want to use their software and just wanted to buy my own connector with whatever software I end up choosing.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have the whole package from AutoEnginuity. Wouldn't do it any other way. Sure, I could figure it out so that I could get generic OBD2 data, but you'll have quite a time getting into the different sub-systems (ABS, SRS, BCM, Door modules, Seat modules, etc) to gain the control that the AE scantool/software provide when you have the enhanced package(s).

Old 07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Beginning Member

Kyle, You had no issues (ie IEAntivirus crap) when you installed or ran autoenginuity software?
I did that was why I uninstalled it. .
It looked like nice stuff but I had that problem with it so ???

Anyway what did it cost you for the connector?Connector/ software package?

Did you have to pay for the software as well?

I tired the software out but my browser kept being directed to a fake scan page and such. I minumized that page to view the software and I wasnt sure if it was a trail or if the software was free and you just had to call in for the connector.
Lmk please Ill give it a try again.

It sounds as if autoenginuity gives you full access to everything?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
scott96 is an unknown quantity at this point

how about this
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Elm327-USB-CAN-OB...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Laptop to vehicle(blazer)