General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2004 blazer mpg?

Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 AM
askquestion is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down 2004 blazer mpg?

I know there is a million posts about gas mileage... but I really need to find out if this is normal or if I should just sell it?

I have a 2004 blazer, 4 door, 4.3L V6 automatic, 170,000 km, 4wd, all stock parts, 15 inch studded winter tires.

I drive to and from school once or twice a day (5 minutes) and am still spending 300-400 dollars in gas every month. It is technically city driving, but not stop-and-go. My speeds range between 50 and 85 km/hr.

I know my gas mileage is worse when I am in 4wd or driving like an idiot, and that winter tires makes it worse. That being said, when I drive in 2wd, am careful to not even let the rpm go over 2000 and the roads are pretty much snow-free I still only get 12.5 mpg.

Is this normal for a stock blazer? Or is there something wrong with it?
I have checked air filter and tires...

Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Yeah thats not right... If you know there are a million posts on here about that then you would already know that isnt right. So do some more reading to see what other people have done to fix their bad gas mileage.

Could be any number of things like:
  • Tune up needed
  • O2 sensors
  • Spider assembly
  • EGR valve
  • Thermostat (if the truck isnt getting up to temp)
  • temp sensor
  • PCV valve
  • MAF sensor
  • Catalytic converter

If the gas mileage is that bad then im going to say something is wrong with the fuel mixture, so that points to the O2 sensors, the MAF sensor, or the Temp sensor.

Thats just a start, there is a lot of information on here about any of those topics

Edit: But if you need more help feel free to ask, just try to research by yourself a little first. And keep us updated.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 03-16-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I disagree. I think it's pretty much on target. At MOST 1 mpg low
5 minute trips.. barely gets to temperature. 'When I'm in 2wd' all are relevent and gives hints.
And contrary to some claims, they do not get 22-23 mpg... except on a long freeway trip

What is your engine temp gauge reading when you get to the end of your trip?

Summer will be better. Will go to about 15 in that scenario

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-16-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
I disagree . I think it's pretty much on target. At MOST 1 mpg low
5 minute trips.. barely gets to temperature. 'When I'm in 2wd' all are relevent and gives hints.
Here i go again with not reading all the small details...

Petty's right AGAIN... (what else is new)

But hey i was right with the fuel mixture part causing the terrible gas mileage. Just in case you dont know, when your engine is trying to get up to operating temp it goes into fuel enrichment mode to get it warmed up quicker, which in turn burns more gas. It usually takes about 5 minutes or 3-4 miles of driving to get it up to operating temperature.

Best mileage ive got is 21.5 on one tank. and half the driving was through a pass using 4WD so that wasn't bad mileage.

(Petty one of these days ill correct you and it will go on my great achievements list. Oh and i fixed your statement with the appropriate emo-con lol)

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 03-16-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with MR fog yea imma call you MR fog for now on

and i do agree with cherry do a search i bet you can find a lot of your answers

do you have an ses light on ? or is the truck running top shape
other then that it might be driving habits

Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

heh.... I used to make a damn good living at this sort of thing. IT systems analysis and diagnosis. Every detail is important. You ALWAYS start by getting all the info possible from the user.

One thing I noticed once we got Bravadiva is the good stuff you get from the tripminder. There's a 'sweet spot' for gas mileage.. 55-65 mph.. above or below that instant mpg drops.

To the OP: BESIDES needing to note the engine temp; if you are driving 45 mph try 3rd gear, keeping the rpm closer to 2000. {esp if you have tripminder, so you dont have to wait a full tank to see it} you might actually get better economy.. low rpm does not always work best.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Starting Member
marksoftball is an unknown quantity at this point

You are in the ball park.

Fuel Economy of 2004 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD

Mark

Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 PM
sac79348 is on a distinguished road

I have an 04 blazer as well and my gas mileage is about the same (between 12.5-14 MPG most of the time). Most of my trips are short too and from work about 5 miles each way.

But when I do get on the free way I am between 17-19 MPG.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Starting Member
Antbankz is on a distinguished road

what is ur method of testing ur mpg?????

Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM
sac79348 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Antbankz
what is ur method of testing ur mpg?????

I have an app on my iphone (road trip) that I put in my mileage and amount of gas it took to fill the tank each time I fill up and it tells me my MPG. Been using it for about 2 years now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 blazer mpg?