General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Advice on Bumper Replacement - 2000 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Foxcliffe is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Bumper Replacement - 2000 Blazer

Hi Everyone -
I need some general advice here. I was on some back dirt roads and my 2000 Blazer slid into a tree, denting the right side bumper just a bit and pushing that side back enough to touch the tire. With some help I was able to pull the bumper out, allowing me to drive smoothly. However, I'm new to the arena of body work so I will need to have the bumper replaced.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Can anyone give any recommendations as to some next steps? Will a body shop hammer out the dent and reset the bumper? Or is a brand new bumper necessary? Costs?

Thanks all for any advice. Much appreciated.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

A quick google search will find a new bumper. A body shop would do the same thing and replace the bumper.
Searching on google will find the best price.
Mind you, once you find a place that has a bumper, search that place to make sure it is legit.

RockAuto Parts Catalog is a great place to go for parts.
Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com is another good place but a bit more on the spendy side.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks, richphotos! I'll check that site out for parts and pricing. Any idea on how much time/labor would go into something like that? I'm trying to get an idea for the cost of a pretty straight forward bumper replacement. Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

The bumper is really easy to replace. If you have a basic set of hand tools you could do it in an hour I'm sure. I could do it in probably 20 minutes. There's only 4 bolts holding it on. You have to take off the grill and headlight first, but those are all held in with clips so it's pretty quick and easy.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Hey thanks for the reply Jamaroon. The actual 'replacement' of the bumper makes sense, I'm more worried about structural damage. The right front end was pushed back some, so it was actually touching the wheel. We had a guy chain me up to a tree and pull it back so that I could actually turn the wheel. The wheel is still free and I can drive it.. Do you think I might run into a curveball in regards to any structural issues? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Only thing would be if you bent the part of the frame the bumper mounts to, but you wouldn't know that until you had the bumper off. Doesn't sound like it was a very hard hit but you never know.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM

Got it. Thanks again.