General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

best way to take off glue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default best way to take off glue...

left over from the badges on the rear tailgate. I peeled off the chevrolet and blazer logos but there is some glue left. I tried to pick it off, but that still left some stuff. I tired to wet sand, but i think i had a too coarse sanpaper and ended up scratching the tailgate a bit. What's the easiest way to take this off and have it be clean afterwards.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Try Windex, it worked for me! But it took some elbow grease and a few good minutes of scrubbing.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Rubbing Alcohol or Acetone does a pretty good job of beating up unwanted glue. *If you use Acetone, wash wash wash afterwards!!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

I would rather not mess with chemicals. I'll try rubbing alcohol with my scrubbing sponge I have. Would goo gone do anything?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the goo gone automotive spray since i'm assuming it'd be paint friendly.. i would not mess with any of the others..

Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm assuming you used a heat gun to get the badge off? Why not use the heat gun to heat up the left over glue a bit and then scrub off with some sort of cleaner like goo gone or simple green works well too I find.
I took off my user car dealer's badge which was a bunch of letters. It left a goo after the letters were removed, so I just heated up the left over glue enough to make it soft and wiped it off with a bit of water...no damage to the paint whatsoever

Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 PM

cool. That sounds easy enough. Would a hair dryer work. That would be the only heat gun I have around the house. Unless I use my little mini butane candle lighter torch, nah! lol

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

LOL. used a hair dryer to peel off motor home decals for my grandparents when i was a kid. Burned up two before they just bought a heat gun. hair dryer will work for a small area no prob

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

On my old blazer I used goo gone automotive spray and it took everything off without a problem it worked great

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unlimitedsp
On my old blazer I used goo gone automotive spray and it took everything off without a problem it worked great
Originally Posted by okvortec
Perhaps the goo gone automotive spray since i'm assuming it'd be paint friendly.. i would not mess with any of the others..
x3 on the Goo Gone. Works fantastic at getting old adhesive to release.

Quick Reply: best way to take off glue...