General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Really tough question to ask...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM
rickmfromnh is on a distinguished road
Default Really tough question to ask...

...but I think it is time that I do. I have owned my 2001 4 Door 4x4 for little over a year now. In that time I have had to have the engine replaced, need the second secondary air pump replaced, need to redo everything for my rear brakes, need another tune up and having electrical issues where my warning lights turn on and off and mess with the gauges. My question is this: even though I love my Blazer, is it really worth keeping once it is paid off? I get about 16-20 MPG, and I would like to go on road trips. But I have no trust in the Blazer, and that is the worst feeling in the world for me. Any advice?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

that sucks. Im in the same situtation. I hate my blazer because i cant trust it,but same time its the only thing i wanna drive even though i have other cars..

I say sell it,buy a cheap 1st gen,then a cheap gas efficient car.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Problem is chris that it will not be paid off until January 2014...unless I do the very very basic maintainance to it and do not drive it but maybe once a month and pay it off faster.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you think you need to have the engine replaced? These trucks can be quite reliable and if you've already done a bunch of work to it, you may be close to getting it back to it's previous glory.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Why did you think you need to have the engine replaced? These trucks can be quite reliable and if you've already done a bunch of work to it, you may be close to getting it back to it's previous glory.

I agree these trucks could have there problems but I do rely on my blazer most of the time

I do try to keep up with her most of the time

What im trying to say is these trucks are reliable if there kept up with

Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM

I had to have the engine replaced when it blew last November...nothing is known about the junkyard motor that sits under the hood now except that it is dirty...the electrical really scares me as it could be so many things wrong; I hope a new battery will solve the issues like my new mechanic says. I will level with you guys; what scares me the most is the fact that the mechanic from the dealership has messed with this Blazer bad. It took him 2 months to swap the engines out. When I got it back there were empty beer cans all over the back floor. One of my vacuum lines had been replaced with clear aquarium airline tubing. He had melted one of my wiring harnesses and dented my driver's side front body panel getting the engine out. This poor Blazer has been beat up so bad by him and the previous owners. But there is so much that is unknown about it, and I can't afford to have it taken apart, gone through, and put back together. Also, there were 2 bolts missing that hold the engine to the transmission on the bottom; 2 bolts on the sides were ready to fall out. There were 2 bolts that were secure at the top that were holding the engine and tranny together.

Last edited by rickmfromnh; 09-01-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

So what all needs to be done exactly? I find in situations like this making a list of all the things I need to do helps. You can decide what's priority and what's lower on the list.

Was your mechanic at the "dealership" from a used car lot or a GM dealership? If he's from a GM Dealership he wouldn't be working there for much longer after he dented my panel, left empty beer cans and left bolts out holding the trans to the block. If he's an independent the only thing you can do is not go back to him and let people know why when they ask.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM

This is a used car lot dealership with guaranteed financing. The mechanic works for the guy. He hates his job and works on his race cars on the weekends. I think he is at best a shade tree mechanic. The day the engine blew I went to the dealership and talked to the owner. I went back out to the Blazer, started it up, and the engine started ticking I guess. I went back in, told the mechanic and he said drive it till it dies. I made it 15 miles when the engine went. The mechanic told the owner I deliberately blew the motor. It was a huge fight and a mess. The only way I got them to replace the motor with the warranty was to agree to never go back there or talk to them ever again. The Blazer had been to them about 20 times between July 21st, 2010 when I bought it and November 29th, 2010 when the motor went.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you purchased a lemon and then accepted shoddy warranty work. I would have talked with the district attorney after the 20 day mess of an engine install that resulted in more damage while the vehicle was in their care. Sounds like they do not have a leg to stand on. I would press to have them buy the vehicle back and get something else.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM

I tried to get them to take the Blazer back and get me something else...that is what I was doing the day the engine blew and all hell broke loose. It is a mess I know; my Dad was helping me deal with the place as I have never had to deal with anything like this before. If it was up to me I would sue. But my Dad told me no and has gone to the state and reported them. I have had to eat a loss of $2000 to fix everything after the junkyard motor was put in. So I now have $2000 invested in repairs. Everything before that was paid for by the dealership.

Quick Reply: Really tough question to ask...